2016 W213 E-Class - Revealed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not at all. The previous generation car didn't sell at all well in its petrol variant. It will be arriving in the autumn, but I don't think it will cause trouble in the meantime. The GLC is sold out with us until late May and there's no petrol model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very difficult to sell something that isn't offered. The E class was missing a 6cyl petrol, the 4 cylinder that was offered was simply under powered, didn't suit the car size/weight and a poor choice by MB. Hopefully that will be addressed with an E450 AMG or E43 AMG - but what would be more ideal is an E400 without the AMG upsell. It's not a stretch, it's already offered in LHD form.

The GLC is crying our for the 250 petrol motor offered on the continent.

Since the Govt admitted to the entire diesel misselling situation and as petrol engines have improved economy immensely more people want petrols. Not just sports cars but sensible capacity 2.0 petrol motors for a whole host of drivers that do 10,000 miles a year or less.

No DPF issues, your car doesn't sound like a tractor, co2 emissions are now irrelevant after the RFL changes to flat rate and based on list price.

Time for MB to catch up and offer what people want to buy.

Our E class will be replaced with a petrol, there's just no upside in us running a diesel any more.

Last edited:
It's very difficult to sell something that isn't offered.

Since the Govt admitted to the entire diesel misselling situation and as petrol engines have improved economy immensely more people want petrols. Not just sports cars but sensible capacity 2.0 petrol motors for a whole host of drivers that do 10,000 miles a year or less.

No DPF issues, your car doesn't sound like a tractor, co2 emissions are now irrelevant after the RFL changes to flat rate and based on list price.

Time for MB to catch up and offer what people want to buy.

Our E class will be replaced with a petrol, there's just no upside in us running a diesel any more.

But do you have any real world experience of the number of people that actually buy petrol saloons of that size? It's a tiny proportion. They had a petrol model before and not many people bought it. As I said, there is one coming, but it's definitely not a priority

The big difference now though is petrol engine economy is a lot closer to diesel economy, real world.

Combined with the RFL changes this will create a different market.

The big difference now though is petrol engine economy is a lot closer to diesel economy, real world.

Combined with the RFL changes this will create a different market.
I moved from a diesel engine E class to petrol: the miles I did made a diesel way to expensive and I didn't do the miles to get the economy from a diesel engine

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

It's very difficult to sell something that isn't offered.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm well aware that in the recent past petrol-engined MB sales volumes in the UK market have been small in comparison to diesels, but the future is likely to very different as a result of emissions legislation changes, VED changes, and the very real improvements in petrol engine fuel consumption. Hence my comment that MBUK are once again out of step.

They're looking backwards instead of forwards, and while they're doing that BMW and Audi will sell the customer what they want instead of what MBUK tell them they can have. It's depressing :(

They're looking backwards instead of forwards, and while they're doing that BMW and Audi will sell the customer what they want instead of what MBUK tell them they can have. It's depressing :(

They're not at all. They have a range of petrol and petrol hybrid engines coming out. The changes to VED will be after they have come out. It's rare for a manufacturer to offer a full range of engines from launch.

Considering that MB are growing significantly faster than Audi and BMW, I very much doubt they feel they are losing customers.

Wouldn't even consider anything other than a diesel imho.... Due to take delivery of c coupe in March......250d

awight lads. hows tricks.. long time..

hope you all are well.

so.. i saw the 213 in the flesh today..

my oh my it is one extremely dull looking car and i know you all may think i will go and buy one soon etc etc.. but seriously.. i went to look, not a single line was exciting, it was dull, the interior in the standard black on black was extremely off putting and dull.

the front end has no character what so ever, and i can not believe they have come out with this.

the photos in sports guide and premium luxury grille versions look ok, but when you see the damn thing.. this car makes no statement what so ever.. it is a very lazy design and its a very lazy look.

its following an audi bmw design phase of every model looking tooo identical

between the 190e, the 124 and 126 there were still stark differences and styles..

the 213 has one long line crease front to back.. it may have been better to follow the side profile look of the c and s.. as it had some character and broad shoulder width at the front..

the 213 really has dissapointed me.. and once you add options, sure it can look exciting and semi premium, but in base spec... it is horrid!

Looking a the economy of petrol v diesel, I will give you an example of my experience with a 220 diesel and 200 petrol C Class. On two separate service visits, I was given a C Class loan car I drove on the same route at the same time of day with similar traffic conditions, Chesterfield to Meadowhall to Chesterfield via A617 and M1.
The 220 diesel returned 60.7 mpg and surprise, the 200 petrol gave 67 mpg. Also a quieter and smoother drive. Why would anyone buy the diesel?

S / E / C

52283710.jpg

During the days when MB made 'proper' cars apparently.

I'll be honest, I much prefer the MB of today. (Apart from the monsters)

I Like the younger image of the new models. I think the older generation MB were very boring looking and too conservative.

I know there's members here that adore the older cars but we're all different in what we like. Would be a boring world otherwise.

Ant.

I got to see the new E Coupe and E Estate today. The saloon is definitely the least pretty of the 3. I was impressed with the estate a lot

Why have we got such an old choice of engines. Might be in the market for an Estate but not with the current engine choices.

I got to see the new E Coupe and E Estate today. The saloon is definitely the least pretty of the 3. I was impressed with the estate a lot

Any pics JB?

The estate is on our radar.

I took a look at a new E in the Showroom of Gatwick MB and the dashboard is quite a change, there feels like a huge amount of room in the front of the car.

Nope, we had to put them in lockers.

Estate - I actually preferred to the saloon. It looks a little more aggressive from the rear, much like Audi Avant models do.

Coupe - I think it was a bit of a stunner, but no surprise. Like a halfway point between the styling of the C and S coupes, which it would be. There's no B pillar, like the current model and it didn't have the diamond grill.

Many modern estates now look better than saloons since the manufacturers started actually designing them rather than just adding a box onto the back of a saloon.

The C class look way better as an estate than saloon (the coupe is very good though) so I'm not surprised the E does in your opinion.

Last edited:
will the E coupe use the new E platform or the current C platform?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom