2017 AMG C63 stop/start annoyance...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

540YMX

Car
AMG C63s Coupe
Happy with the feature but wonder if anyone else has experienced the, seemingly pointless, engine stopping and then almost immediately re-starting?

Understand the car needs sufficient energy stored for it to work so not available all the time and duration will vary but quite frequently the engine restarts instantly and that just feels wrong.

It's generally my fault, like when stopping in a parking space I push P and that often makes the engine re-start despite still having my foot on the brake. I've now taken to pushing the engine stop/start once parked up, and then it puts it in P when you open the door anyway.
The only other time is if I misjudge traffic and need to pull away as soon as it's stopped. I haven't noticed it stopping and restarting straight away on its own, maybe after 30 seconds or so if I'm at lights it might start it up.

It's generally my fault, like when stopping in a parking space I push P and that often makes the engine re-start despite still having my foot on the brake. I've now taken to pushing the engine stop/start once parked up, and then it puts it in P when you open the door anyway.
The only other time is if I misjudge traffic and need to pull away as soon as it's stopped. I haven't noticed it stopping and restarting straight away on its own, maybe after 30 seconds or so if I'm at lights it might start it up.

Seems slightly counter intuitive to start then engine when selecting park? Lol

I hate the start stop feature, least you get a nice rumble each time the c63 starts as a positive :)

The Stop/Start function is affected by a range of factors (as I recently found out...), including battery charge, ambient and internal temperatures, input from the brake vacuum sensor, electric consumers switched on, and many others.

It can be very difficult to tell if it's actually working as designed simply by driving the car and observing when it cuts-in.

The only way really is to scan for fault codes with STAR then try and work-out if any of the faults the may show could be related to the Stop/Start function.

If the car is still under warranty, you can take it to the dealer, most likely they will just carry-out a software uodate which may or may not make a difference.

Personally, when stopped at a traffic lights, I brake until the engine is stopped (assuming the Stop/Start function is ready), then brake a little further to get the brake hold to engage.

When the traffic lights turn yellow, a slight tap on the accelerator will wake-up the engine and release the brake hold, and the car is ready to go as soon as the traffic lights are green.

Not sure if this feature is 'useless on an AMG'... in the sense that it is useless on any car that is driven in a sporty way. But the whole point of an AMG (or RS, or M-Power cars, etc) is that the car combines the luxury of a saloon with the performace of a sports car, so presumably even C63/E63/S63 etc owners enjoy a bit of comfortable leisurely drive from time to time?

Last edited:
Not sure if this feature is 'useless on an AMG'... in the sense that it is useless on any car that is driven in a sporty way. But the whole point of an AMG (or RS, or M-Power cars, etc) is that the car combines the luxury of a saloon with the performace of a sports car, so presumably even C63/E63/S63 etc owners enjoy a bit of comfortable leisurely drive from time to time?

Agree nothing wrong with the feature for the daily commute when stuck in traffic, when more boisterous driving is called for then the non-comfort mode disables it anyway.

Car will go in for its first service next month so will mention the instant restart but it always helps to have a bit more knowledge to avoid the 'they all do this, sir' response!

Worse feature ever invented on the modern car, pain in the backside.

I think it's only a pain the back side because it comes on by default and needs to be switched-off manualy (this is how it works on my W204 anyway).

It would have been a great feature if it was off by default and could simply be enabled by the driver at will.

But I think it's down to how mpg and CO2 and emmissions etc are tested on the EU city and combined driving cycles - i.e. only systems that are 'on' by dedault can be used - or at least this is what I read somewhere - i.e. that if tne Stop/Start function was off by default, then the manufacturers would not have been allowed to use it during testing. And the same goes for E mode on automatic transmission (on newer cars).

They'll also probably suggest your foot may be slightly touching the go pedal. It doesn't take much for the engine to kick back into life.

Put mine in sports as soon as I start up- sorted

They'll also probably suggest your foot may be slightly touching the go pedal. It doesn't take much for the engine to kick back into life.

They can suggest it but certainly not the case, arriving at home, stop on the drive, the engine stops and while foot still on the brake before I can hit the ignition off button the engine has fired up again.

Put mine in sports as soon as I start up- sorted
I find S doesn't change gear very nicely from 2 to 3, like it pulls away in 1st then at whatever time it goes from 2nd and into 3rd almost in one go - which isn't very pleasant. Obviously more spirited driving it's fine. S+ is a much nicer drive except obviously when driving gently it holds higher revs - good for me, not so good for everyone else nearby :D

But I think it's down to how mpg and CO2 and emmissions etc are tested on the EU city and combined driving cycles - i.e. only systems that are 'on' by dedault can be used - or at least this is what I read somewhere - i.e. that if tne Stop/Start function was off by default, then the manufacturers would not have been allowed to use it during testing. And the same goes for E mode on automatic transmission (on newer cars).
Correct

Never use it, always hate to think of a hot turbo bearing being starved of oil when the start/stop operates.

As above first thing that's switched off especially when around town....

RR

The whole stop start thing is a crock of $hit. OP you are talking about a V8 C 63. in what part of the universe is switching the engine on and off a few times a day going to save the planet ?

Sweet Jesus, the first time I encountered this dumb piece of technology years ago in a little hire car in Europe somewhere I thought WTF will these eco dickheads think of next ? Its the first thing I disable whenever climbing into a hire car (something I do often) only to find - annoyingly - that is default on most cars so equipped. Except the other month when I had a Fiat something or other hire car and once switched off it stayed off. well done Fiat.

That’s simply a safety system so you don’t try to exit the car with the engine still on. If you put it in park or open the door, it’ll start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems slightly counter intuitive to start then engine when selecting park? Lol

I hate the start stop feature, least you get a nice rumble each time the c63 starts as a positive :)

So you don’t accidentally get out of the car thinking you’ve turned it off

The whole stop start thing is a crock of $hit. OP you are talking about a V8 C 63. in what part of the universe is switching the engine on and off a few times a day going to save the planet ?

Sweet Jesus, the first time I encountered this dumb piece of technology years ago in a little hire car in Europe somewhere I thought WTF will these eco dickheads think of next ? Its the first thing I disable whenever climbing into a hire car (something I do often) only to find - annoyingly - that is default on most cars so equipped. Except the other month when I had a Fiat something or other hire car and once switched off it stayed off. well done Fiat.
I don't think it was thought of for 'eco' reasons but for reducing mpg in official tests, as a small reduction in emissions can place a car into a lower tax or ved band which will influence some car buyers and company car choice, as ved and benefit in kind will be affected.

So you don’t accidentally get out of the car thinking you’ve turned it off

Makes sense. Thought you can't lock the car if it on either which would help too

Makes sense. Thought you can't lock the car if it on either which would help too
You can't mistake a C63 engine that's running for one that is not running :D Gerald switching the engine off to improve mpg as to lower the tax bracket are pretty much 'eco' driven. I still maintain that stop/start is one of the most useless things ever fitted to a car. It starts back up when you have the aircon on and the cabin starts warming up FFS ! How about banning drive through at fast food joints ? that might help to improve air quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom