2017 C220 Navigation SD Card Update MacBook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KeymanB

Car
C220
Hello, I am New to the forum,
I have just purchased a 2017 C220, Its amazing
but i have noticed that the SatNav is out of date on the roads that i travel,
the SD Card has this written on it, Map Pilot Europe 2015/2016 V5.2 Map 5.0
I have plugged the SD card into My MacBook and installed the Download Manager but when i run the program i get a message saying
UPDATE , Please update the download manager, I have searched everywhere for newer downloads but i am struggling

Can anyone give me any help,
I am trying to update the SD Card so that is has fresh maps to suit the roads the UK for 2020.
ps, I also am struggling with Live traffic updates, but i have not paid for a subscription if that means i cannot get them.
Thank you for any help

Attachments

• IMG_7599.jpg
    IMG_7599.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7600.jpg
    IMG_7600.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 5
Anyone help?
ps, I have seen so cards on eBay with V14 for £25 and v15 for £49.
do I have to buy one of these for the latest maps?
I just expected to be able to put my current sd card into my computer and do a free upgrade like I used to do on my windscreen garmin.

Anyone help?
ps, I have seen so cards on eBay with V14 for £25 and v15 for £49.
do I have to buy one of these for the latest maps?
I just expected to be able to put my current sd card into my computer and do a free upgrade like I used to do on my windscreen garmin.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mercedes - they would charge you for the exhaust gas if it were possible! Having said that, I don't see myself ever moving to another marque (unless I could have an Aston as a 2nd car.......)

Someone will be along shortly with helpful information. @markjay tends to be very helpful and knowledgeable on this subject

Some pics of your car tend to go down well :)

If you have Audio 20 and not comand system. You need to purchase an "update" SD card from dealer at £99, this will also include the live traffic subscription. You will then have free updates for 60 days only via the Merc download manager. The SD cards from other sellers will update the maps but not the Live traffic.

I should add that the Merc download manager for PC has not been working correctly for three months. This is the reply I got from them regarding the problem:

I am writing in response to your enquiry regarding the issues you are having with the Download manager for your car, detailed above.

After consulting with our technical team I can confirm that there is a problem currently being addressed.

Unfortunately we cannot say when this will be fixed however we are working on a fix. We advise to give it a week and try again.

Please Note: Free map updates via the Download manager are only available for new SD-Cards after activation in the car for a period of 60 days

Last edited:
There are two different types of MB Download Manager. One is for Garmin Map Pilot (which is the satnav you have), the other is for COMAND (the satnav you don't have). You need to make sure you are using the correct one.

As far as I know, with the Garmin Map Pilot, using the MB Download Manager will update the navigation software on the SD Card, but won't update the maps to the latest version. To be confirmed by someone who has the Garmin Map Pilot option.

The maps update is done via the purchase of a new SD Card, which will contain both the latest version of the maps, and the latest version of the navigation software.

The SD-Cards bought off eBay will work, but (most) won't have the TomTom Live Traffic Data subscription, even if you buy an original-looking card.

You can buy the SD-Card from an MB dealer, in which case you need to request an UPDATE SD-Card costing ~£100 (and also your Live Traffic subscription will be renewed), otherwise they may misund6estnd and think that your car does not have the Garmin Map Pilot option and you want to but it, and they'll quite you an SD-Card costing ~£400.

Thank you for the replies. some very helpful information there.
I am not sure if it is worth double the price of £100 compared to £50 on eBay for a new map update if the traffic info is only sent for 60 days. I was not sure if information was sent via an rds radio station about accidents etc anyway or if that was a much more basic system. What do people do after the 60 days, Do you keep renewing the subscription every 60 days?
I might just use my iPhone google maps app as that seems to give fairly good traffic data already.
Here’s a picture of my new pride and joy. Thank you.

Attachments

• C89AA3D1-F78B-4AA9-9821-A22D0DE54880.jpeg
    C89AA3D1-F78B-4AA9-9821-A22D0DE54880.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 7
I am not sure if it is worth double the price of £100 compared to £50 on eBay for a new map update if the traffic info is only sent for 60 days. I was not sure if information was sent via an rds radio station about accidents etc anyway or if that was a much more basic system. What do people do after the 60 days, Do you keep renewing the subscription every 60 days?
I might just use my iPhone google maps app as that seems to give fairly good traffic data already.

Nice. I do like white cars. Never used to - is it a different white nowadays? :)

The £100 upgrade is only if the vehicle had tha nav specified from new and should have traffic which is renewed on an annual/3 yr basis via the mercedes me website.
The cheaper sd cards on ebay are up to date copies but do not have traffic unless they explicitly say so, and are pretty much useless without it.

the car looks great in white and with those wheels.

Nice. I do like white cars. Never used to - is it a different white nowadays? :)
Thank you. It’s not bright white but close enough, I like bright white,
It’s also not the pearl white I saw on a few E class I looked at, I used to like pearl but prefer solid now for some reason, I’ve got it in my head that pearl looks like it always needs a quick wash, This was the spec I’d searched a long time fror so I am really happy, the only thing I wanted that it didn’t have was the upgraded speaker system.

Than
The £100 upgrade is only if the vehicle had tha nav specified from new and should have traffic which is renewed on an annual/3 yr basis via the mercedes me website.
The cheaper sd cards on ebay are up to date copies but do not have traffic unless they explicitly say so, and are pretty much useless without it.

the car looks great in white and with those wheels.
thank you, I think I will use my iPhone for trips for now and ask Mb about the subscriptions.

Reactions: Ted

The '60 days' apply to free maps update, not to Live Traffic.

The idea is that if you just bought the latest version of the maps, and newer maps are released within 60 days of your original purchase, you are entitled to an upgrade to the latest version free of charge (the issue was that people were reluctant to buy maps updates if they thought that a new release was imminent).

The TomTom Live Traffic data is subscription-based and will work for as long as you renew it.

The issue with some aftermarket SD-Cards bought off eBay was that the Live Traffic subscription was simply not available with these cards.

Also, I am assuming that your 2017 car is one of the very last pre-facelift models? If so then it won't have native support for Apple CarPlay (this was introduced with the facelift), but you can check with www.comandonline.co.uk if they can fit an aftermarket kit that will add Apple CarPlay. If the car is indeed the current facelift model, then they will be able to activate Apple CarPlay for you.

Apple CarPlay will allow you to use the phone via the Audio20 display, which means you can use Apple Maps or Waze etc as your navigation system and fully integrated with the car dash (and obviously without having to spend any money on updating the Garmin Map Pilot system).

The Tom tom traffic subscription is valid for three years, and so are the "software" updates, for the system. It is the only map updates that can not be updated after 60 days. But if the Download manager still isn't working, you will not be able to update until it is.

Hello, I am New to the forum,
I have just purchased a 2017 C220, Its amazing
but i have noticed that the SatNav is out of date on the roads that i travel,
the SD Card has this written on it, Map Pilot Europe 2015/2016 V5.2 Map 5.0
I have plugged the SD card into My MacBook and installed the Download Manager but when i run the program i get a message saying
UPDATE , Please update the download manager, I have searched everywhere for newer downloads but i am struggling

Can anyone give me any help,
I am trying to update the SD Card so that is has fresh maps to suit the roads the UK for 2020.
ps, I also am struggling with Live traffic updates, but i have not paid for a subscription if that means i cannot get them.
Thank you for any help
Had the same problem switched onto my windows Pc no problem at all very easy,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom