2017 C220 suspension fail.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nindagley

Car
E35cdi coupe
Just took my C220 estate, 17 plate for its MOT. Expected it to fly through if I'm honest.
It failed on lower front suspension ball joint worn. Mercedes part only , and cost me £300 in the end.
It's done 45000 miles, is this just bad luck or should it have lasted longer ?
Little bit annoyed as I was just about trade in for another Merc.

Ball joints do fail... I would say that this incident is neither here not there in terms of 'Mercedes reliability'.

But I am surprised to hear that it is a Mercedes part only - have you tried the usual manufacturers, e.g. Lemforder, Febi-Bilstein, etc?

The pounding suspensions get these days I'm not surprised components fail sooner than later.

I have two mates who run their own repair shops, every time I go to see them they are changing bushes and ball joints on all makes, so not confined to a particular make.
In their words.....”speed bumps and pot holes are boosting their pensions”.

This one ?? Not saying this make is any good just showing that they are widely available. I am also curious as to why the part they replaced was 'only available from MB' ??

Just took my C220 estate, 17 plate for its MOT. Expected it to fly through if I'm honest.
It failed on lower front suspension ball joint worn. Mercedes part only , and cost me £300 in the end.
It's done 45000 miles, is this just bad luck or should it have lasted longer ?
Little bit annoyed as I was just about trade in for another Merc.
As others have said, modern road conditions, speed restriction humps etc all put extra stress on these components.

I have had a ball joint or other suspension joint replaced around every 3 years or so on two Mercedes, Saab, Audi etc.

Who told you that it's a Mercedes only part?

The one in Petrol Petes response is showing Borg and Beck as the maker, this used to be a top quality manufacturer but who knows these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom