2017 C63 coolant warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DannyHall

Car
C63 Premium
Alright gents,

Started the car up this morning and there was an on screen warning about the engine coolant level being low. This is far from ideal on the basis that I'm in France and planning to drive back to the UK tomorrow through the Euro tunnel.

Is it normal for it to drop slightly with the colder temperatures? It was 4 degrees this morning. Should a small check and top up be sufficient or should I take it to the dealer to get checked over thus probably meaning I won't be able to travel tomorrow.

If it is just a top up needed (not sure why), what coolant should I be using? Or would some water be sufficient for a quick fix until my service next month?

Thanks
Dan

i would if possible suggest you give mb customer services a call and check which coolant brand etc to buy for the 63. get some without driving the car if possible and fill it up. better not to drive the car if possible. On the other hand if you have a coolant leak somewhere then thats a bigger issue. hopefully though it is just a drop in temperature fingers crossed

MB 310.1 - Coolant Specifications - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids hope this helps ?

i would if possible suggest you give mb customer services a call and check which coolant brand etc to buy for the 63. get some without driving the car if possible and fill it up. better not to drive the car if possible. On the other hand if you have a coolant leak somewhere then thats a bigger issue. hopefully though it is just a drop in temperature fingers crossed

MB 310.1 - Coolant Specifications - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids hope this helps ?

Thanks for the detailed response! It's sat now on a level ground. I will leave it until lunch time and check the level and if it's slightly under without no noticeable leaks on the floor I will top it up with whatever Mercedes recommend when I call.

Dan

Thanks for the detailed response! It's sat now on a level ground. I will leave it until lunch time and check the level and if it's slightly under without no noticeable leaks on the floor I will top it up with whatever Mercedes recommend when I call.

Dan
fingers crossed the coolant level will be within the normal range when you check it

I'm really jealous that you're getting to do long distance drives in yours BTW !

Coolant is available from any M-B dealer, but just check upon which one, is it pink or blue? I had an issue recently due to a change in morning temperature, it did need a small top up but no more than 20% of a bottle.

I'm really jealous that you're getting to do long distance drives in yours BTW !

Why what’s stopping you doing the same in yours?

Why what’s stopping you doing the same in yours?
long list of things!

v young family , work , not much free time for road trips.

I'm still managing to do more than 1k miles a month overall including a trip to Wales and another one to Scotland.

long list of things!

v young family , work , not much free time for road trips.

I'm still managing to do more than 1k miles a month overall including a trip to Wales and another one to Scotland.

Understood. Life can be hectic, try to set aside at least a few weeks a year to travel etc. You deserve it. :)

Managed to sort it on the day before my trip which was a massive bonus!

The car is now back in the UK where it will stay for the foreseeable future.

For anyone using the eurotunnel in the future, it’s very very tight in my opinion and perhaps too tight for the C63. I’ve curbed all along the left side of the alloys which is a massive pain. I would recommend maybe booking the bigger carriages or maybe it’s just down to me being very impatient and not going slow enough through the carriage?

Dan

Managed to sort it on the day before my trip which was a massive bonus!

The car is now back in the UK where it will stay for the foreseeable future.

For anyone using the eurotunnel in the future, it’s very very tight in my opinion and perhaps too tight for the C63. I’ve curbed all along the left side of the alloys which is a massive pain. I would recommend maybe booking the bigger carriages or maybe it’s just down to me being very impatient and not going slow enough through the carriage?

Dan

Yes most on here book the ‘high and wide’ carriage, or take the ferry.

The wheel situation is unfortunate, but hopefully you can get them repaired at a reasonable cost.

I hope you enjoyed your trip.

looks like I've joined the check coolant club. 8k miles on mine.
engine coolant
8k miles coolant level

I ended up just taking mine to the local Mercedes garage who had a quick check for any leaks and filled it up free of charge. Nothing has came back on since!

Dan

I ended up just taking mine to the local Mercedes garage who had a quick check for any leaks and filled it up free of charge. Nothing has came back on since!

Dan
nice! I'm taking mine in on 27th on a drop and go and they'll give me a courtesy car to mess around with for the day until they look at the car. the coolant message keeps coming on even after coolant has been topped up if the outside temp is less than around 6 degrees . sounds like it may be an over-eager sensor at play . there is a ”leave the cap off for 3 minutes and see what happens ” hack that I'll try tonight before heading home from work to see if that sorts it out

You need to pressure test the coolant system.

I have down mine recently and found a small leak at one of the (pipe) connection point on the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom