2017 C63s front tyre wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

540YMX

Car
AMG C63s Coupe
Hello

Car is having its 1st service today @ 10k miles.

Just watched the health check video and surprised to see how bad the front tyres have worn compared to the rears with only 2mm left and cord showing on nearside front.

Was expecting it to eat the rears before the fronts.

Mostly very sensible commuting...(and the occasional uncorking!)

I have c63 convertible and was advised that fronts may wear in a certain way due to camber?! and that was the nature of the vehicle but have had no issues of sign of wear like this. Previously had w205 c63 and no issues with those either. I have the standard 5 spoke c63s alloys on the convertible - 19inch.

Yes the camber on the front wheels is noticeable. I suppose it’s price you pay for the handling that’s available.

Looking at the service history on my E500 Cab the nearside front tyre has worn on the inside edge quite noticeably quicker the the offside front.

The fronts were replaced at about 5,000 and 11,000miles. I then had it Hunter aligned when I got it at about 14,000 miles which party cured the issue, but the inner front was worn by today - 21,000miles.

So two new camber bolts to get the aligmnent spot on, and pair of Pilot Sport 4 235/35/19's went on this morning.

Hopefully that will sort it.

Mine was the same, inner edge down to cords and middle to outer had 4mm+. You’d need a camber kit to adjust

You could switch the front tyres around when half worn. Or just drive it hard around corners to enjoy that front end grip.

Hello

Car is having its 1st service today @ 10k miles.

Just watched the health check video and surprised to see how bad the front tyres have worn compared to the rears with only 2mm left and cord showing on nearside front.

Was expecting it to eat the rears before the fronts.

Mostly very sensible commuting...(and the occasional uncorking!)
I’ve just had the first service done on my w205 c63, after 6 months (12750 miles) Mb garage reported 5mm tread all round. I have MPSS fitted .

I’ve just had the first service done on my w205 c63, after 6 months (12750 miles) Mb garage reported 5mm tread all round. I have MPSS fitted .
Thanks, that is useful info.

Will discuss with the local tyre fitters if switching to MPSS from Continental 5P's is worth it.

I think you need to visit a better tracking and alignment facility. The factory setting isn't the best and a number of good suspension facilities can improve the settings and help your tyres last longer. M-B Tracking and alignment settings are somewhat general.

I think you need to visit a better tracking and alignment facility. The factory setting isn't the best and a number of good suspension facilities can improve the settings and help your tyres last longer. M-B Tracking and alignment settings are somewhat general.

Agree something isn't as it should be, I'll be calling in at Cambridge Performance Tyres unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks, that is useful info.

Will discuss with the local tyre fitters if switching to MPSS from Continental 5P's is worth it.
You’re welcome, on the FB C63 AMG UK group a lot of members report issues with Continental’s wearing out quickly. The general consensus is that the Michelin Pilot sport 4S’s are the ones to go for which I believe have superseded the Super Sports which I have. There is a guy on their who sells Michelin tyres cheap and most seem to buy off him, so might be worth joining the group if you haven’t already done so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom