2017 Honda Civic Type R

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Saw one in the flesh during the break. Loved it. Somehow the over abundance of styling features, wings and vents work in the metal.

Hated it from the pictures.

Front seats felt superb too, as did the gearbox -- I didn't drive one.

EVO, Top Gear and CAR all rate it highly.

Any one driven one, or owns one?

Not been in to hot hatches for ages, but somehow the Type R is winking very furiously at me.

I followed one the other day and couldn't help thinking it had been driven through Halfords barryboy section collecting all the naff bits on the way.

Strictly for those under 30yrs old unless you want to look a prat.;)

I followed one the other day and couldn't help thinking it had been driven through Halfords barryboy section collecting all the naff bits on the way.

Strictly for those under 30yrs old unless you want to look a prat.;)

that's what I thought until I checked one out in the showroom

Tacky as hell but I'd have one in a flash.

The only Type R I've ever played with was an Integra Type R DC5, like this one:
Honda Integra Type R (DC5): PH Heroes | PistonHeads

Lots of fun to be had there even though there are quicker FWD hatches about these days. It was much better than the Focus ST I also had access to at the time.

Here's a comparison video of the current crop including the Civic Type R
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

test drive Sat :)

Enjoy.
See if they are lively without having to wring the guts out of the engine like the only Type R I had a lift in.
Admittedly that was while ago.

Will it possibly replace the SL or the Porker?

Ive seen lots of these Civic's as I go past the Swindon plant from time to time.

Utterly hideous. Designed to appeal to those who find a Focus RS not bling enough. Looking at the video posted above, not a winner in the company of the Germans either.

In my RX7 days quite a few guys from the local Hampshire Jap Car club had type R's. Although they rev high the engine never sounded nice in fact they sounded more like they were going to blow up because of you revving them too high. Needless to say they never did blow up but as someone with a leaning towards mechanical sympathy I kept away from them.

The only Type R I've ever played with was an Integra Type R DC5, like this one:
Honda Integra Type R (DC5): PH Heroes | PistonHeads

Lots of fun to be had there even though there are quicker FWD hatches about these days. It was much better than the Focus ST I also had access to at the time.

Here's a comparison video of the current crop including the Civic Type R
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In the link it looks like it has a coin slot where the dipped beam switch would be is this the new road tax system of pay per mile o_O

As an ex-Type R owner, a few of my friends have them. Forced induction makes them less frenetic in terms of power delivery, and the chassis is easier to live with on a daily basis (compared to the old JDM versions, at least). General concensus has been impressive.

There are a few around thee parts, including one particular car which absolutely black, no accents, no chrome, just glass black all over. It looks and sounds lovely and is driven by an older chap (probably younger than me) who is always smiling, when I see him at the wheel.

I like it. It is very angular, and a very bold looking bit of kit that I suspect is fun to drive. Would I have one? YES..

Keep us posted Sean! I'm not sure about the looks of the ordinary Civic, but if you are going to go mad why not go the full Mad Max of the Type R. It is absolutely unique.

The new Honda Civic - including Type-R had better be good, very good. There is a LOT riding on its success.

Namely the entire future of the Honda plant in Swindon and all of the ancillary companies nearby (lots of jobs) because they don't make anything else there. CRV production is all but finished , so its all eggs in one Civic shaped basket.

Enjoy.
See if they are lively without having to wring the guts out of the engine like the only Type R I had a lift in.
Admittedly that was while ago.

Will it possibly replace the SL or the Porker?

The Porker, this is part of an exercise to reduce the costs of living :D

Ive seen lots of these Civic's as I go past the Swindon plant from time to time.

Utterly hideous. Designed to appeal to those who find a Focus RS not bling enough. Looking at the video posted above, not a winner in the company of the Germans either.

It attracts me because it is so completely different. None of the other cars have the 'personality' of the Type R :p

In my RX7 days quite a few guys from the local Hampshire Jap Car club had type R's. Although they rev high the engine never sounded nice in fact they sounded more like they were going to blow up because of you revving them too high. Needless to say they never did blow up but as someone with a leaning towards mechanical sympathy I kept away from them.

Hondas are well built and designed. My Dad has a 2003 Honda Stream 2 litre VTEC with a mere 57k kms on it. It's used mostly in town and looked after, but the engine and 5 speed transmission is as sweet as pie. Nothing has broken or gone wrong. And it still feels solid. Mightily impressive.

Keep us posted Sean! I'm not sure about the looks of the ordinary Civic, but if you are going to go mad why not go the full Mad Max of the Type R. It is absolutely unique.

The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Is this car available with an Auto box?

no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom