2017 ish E63S Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Technoholic

Car
CLS 350 SB, TVR Tuscan
Hi

looking to purchase one of these as I need to replace my daily and this ticks many of the boxes. Does anyone have any pointers on them or things I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks

Try to find one with the performance exhaust and 360 camera. For me both are a must

Decided to go for slightly newer model, looking at a late 2019 now, couple that I'm viewing this weekend. Both are premium plus, HUD. Im going to be losing a lot from my current car which is specced like mad. I'm losing heated steering wheel, driving assistant, lane assist etc etc. I can't find a car in budget that has these options. heated wheel wasn't an option it seems at all. I guess I need someone to tell me that I don't need those things!

Decided to go for slightly newer model, looking at a late 2019 now, couple that I'm viewing this weekend. Both are premium plus, HUD. Im going to be losing a lot from my current car which is specced like mad. I'm losing heated steering wheel, driving assistant, lane assist etc etc. I can't find a car in budget that has these options. heated wheel wasn't an option it seems at all. I guess I need someone to tell me that I don't need those things!
You don't need those things 😉
I don't have the same car but I personally hate any driver assistance packages and wouldn't use them anyway! Just personal preferences obviously, so only you can make that choice!
As for the heated steering wheel, I guess it's nice to have, but I've managed 25 years without one and have never thought of putting on the must have list!

I tried the BMW heated wheel recently. Would be nice on really cold mornings but not needed a lot of the time. Also, a retrim in full alcantara like I have means it's never that cold to the touch anyway.

Once you’ve had heated steering it’s really hard to give up! Driving assistance I could do without. But heated wheel would be great but not possible it seems. A retrim would definitely help so that’s an option

Once you’ve had heated steering it’s really hard to give up! Driving assistance I could do without. But heated wheel would be great but not possible it seems. A retrim would definitely help so that’s an option
Well don't laugh (seriously) but i wear these:

hmmm toasty

To be honest i bought them to use in the Alfa and they felt a bit weird at first but now i hate driving without them. Used them for years. Warm, yes but also give really good grip (better once they're worn in) and also keep the wheel clean. And...you can pretend you're Moss, Fangio etc. Or, you could go for the ones Daniel Craig wore as James Bond, but i prefer the crochet ones.

Honestly, don't rule them out until you've tried them! If it helps i saw Jackie Stewart wearing a pair at FOS.

haha I do actually have something similar but not specific driving gloves. Might have to invest!

So what do we reckon, any downsides to the E63S? Apart from the missing spec

Now they are a blast from the past do you have the cap tht normally goes with it:rolleyes:
Ha ha well you may laugh but i do actually have one of these:

Sexy hat

But no i don't wear it in my cars, or in combination with my gloves! Im not really a hat person to be honest but this is about the only hat that looks almost respectable (apart from a crash helmet).

The thing is - it's a work of genius because you can wear it either forwards or backwards in an open top car and it stays perfectly in place (i have tried it in my Dads Westfield hill climb car). And it stays put even on windy days. Even better when people inevitably ask you about Suixtil you can bore them to death about Fangio. Suixtil do some nice stuff.

I suffer from Raynaud's disease and have been advised not to drive a car without a heated steering wheel, and preferably remote pre-start heating in the winter.

Happily my Land Rover has both. I would like to buy an MB E estate but have yet to find one with a heated steering wheel, & remote pre-start heating.

NJSS

What are the views on the AMG performance seats? I'm not the smallest of people and (says it quietly so she doesn't hear), neither is the wife. We're not at waddle level, but carrying a bit more than we should! So although the seats look heavily bolstered, are they ok? I have heavily bolstered seats in my R8 and I am ok but I know all seats are different

The performance seats are quite narrow so I'd stick with the comfort ones. They still have a decent level of lateral support.

Do you have "standard" sports seats or buckets in your R8? I have the sports seats in my R8 and find them relatively wide and they don't really grip round your body much (I'm athletic build, 6ft), especially for a car of that type. Although I haven't tried the optional 213 performance seats, I understand they're fairly narrow from things I've read, so would definitely try if you can, rather than rely on comparison with the R8.

Standard sport seats in the R8 but done long journeys in a car with the buckets.

I think standard seats in the Merc will be better but the challenge is finding one that meets the spec!

what were the main differences between a 68 plate and a 69 plate? Anything?

what were the main differences between a 68 plate and a 69 plate? Anything?
I'll stick my neck out and say that there were no differences.

In the main, the 68 plate is going to be model year (MY) 19 which was on the road from Sep 2018. This has the (then) revised steering wheel as compared to the18 plate car. By the 69 plate however the non-S E63 was dropped from the range.

I'll stick my neck out and say that there were no differences.

In the main, the 68 plate is going to be model year (MY) 19 which was on the road from Sep 2018. This has the (then) revised steering wheel as compared to the18 plate car. By the 69 plate however the non-S E63 was dropped from the range.
Oh that's good to know, so the car I'm looking at has the new steering wheel so I assume it's an MY19 car. It actually has all the options I'm looking for, it's in Iridium Silver though which I don't hate but it's probably my least favourite colour apart from White, so need to decide how I feel about that. Being a bit older it's cheaper though

One more thing, is it true that CarPlay is not wireless? And it's not a touchscreen in the earlier models?

One more thing, is it true that CarPlay is not wireless? And it's not a touchscreen in the earlier models?
Not wireless and not touchscreen. It's still a useful bit of kit though if you are that way inclined (guessing from your user name that this might be the case :D ).

Here's a decent video walk-through of the functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom