2017 Mercedes CLS550 With Fi Exhaust - Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark0006

Car
190e
2017 Mercedes CLS550 With Fi Exhaust

[YOUTUBE HD]wMKol94V5bc[/YOUTUBE HD]

I can't imagine driving for a few hours after a long day at work with that racket!
Perhaps I'm getting old?!

It shouldn't do - they just wont cover any exhaust issues which you'd expect.

Ah, a fellow CL owner!

Do you think such an exhaust would suit the CL? I've come over from a BMW M5 a few months ago, so maybe I haven't gotten into the 'spirit' of Mercedes as such lol

Ah, a fellow CL owner!

Do you think such an exhaust would suit the CL? I've come over from a BMW M5 a few months ago, so maybe I haven't gotten into the 'spirit' of Mercedes as such lol

I guess it is a personal choice.

Having done headers, full decat and X pipes on an E55K myself, I am no stranger to loud V8s.

But in my opinion, I just don't think it suits the character of the CL at all - even the AMGs - same with S Class.

It's not a car that needs to shout. It quietly goes about doing what it does best in a serene and wafty way whilst looking the part at all times.

The CL500 BE has some sound to it though - surprisingly actually but it's not loud and not in your face and only really becomes apparent as you push on.

Am I "past all that" then?

Well if I do buy a Maserati Granturismo if I can ever afford one, I am considering X pipe and Larini back boxes and CATs so I would say probably not.

I guess it is a personal choice.

The CL500 BE has some sound to it though - surprisingly actually but it's not loud and not in your face and only really becomes apparent as you push on.

I know what you mean about it not needing to shout.

Mine is very very quiet, even in manual mode and flooring it... I wonder if somethings wrong with mine?! At what sort of revs do you start to hear the engine?

I know what you mean about it not needing to shout.

Mine is very very quiet, even in manual mode and flooring it... I wonder if somethings wrong with mine?! At what sort of revs do you start to hear the engine?

Well, it's too muffled in the sense of if you want to hear it easily.

I think you have to press on to get plenty of sound - preferably with the windows open.

What I suppose I am trying to get at is for a car which should be silent, there is a V8 track to it.

They are probably the same and we have different perceptions of loudness.

My E55 came with a secondary decat. It was audible but far too quiet - but probably the same as the CL is now.

I think you could get away with losing the resonator for a X pipe to achieve a louder burble - which doesn't cost a lot.

I'm intending to move mine one soon so I have no interest in modifying it!

Well, it's too muffled in the sense of if you want to hear it easily.

I think you have to press on to get plenty of sound - preferably with the windows open.

What I suppose I am trying to get at is for a car which should be silent, there is a V8 track to it.

They are probably the same and we have different perceptions of loudness.

My E55 came with a secondary decat. It was audible but far too quiet - but probably the same as the CL is now.

I think you could get away with losing the resonator for a X pipe to achieve a louder burble - which doesn't cost a lot.

I'm intending to move mine one soon so I have no interest in modifying it!

Oh I see what you mean, ok.
Thank you for telling me, I'm pretty much convinced that my car is a bit on the quiet side then! I've tried manual mode flooring it to the limiter before it automatically upshifts with the window down and it's probably half the volume (and half the amount of 'good noise') of my dad's diesel range rover!

What mileage is yours if you don't mind me asking? Mines 13000 miles and I bought it at 11,000 which was covered over two years by an older gentleman, so I presume it was a very gentle 11k miles - so it's possible maybe that the muffler hasn't broken in properly?

Thanks for your help! The face-lift CL isn't a very common car so it's hard to get hold of a second opinion, so I appreciate it :)

Oh I see what you mean, ok.
Thank you for telling me, I'm pretty much convinced that my car is a bit on the quiet side then! I've tried manual mode flooring it to the limiter before it automatically upshifts with the window down and it's probably half the volume (and half the amount of 'good noise') of my dad's diesel range rover!

What mileage is yours if you don't mind me asking? Mines 13000 miles and I bought it at 11,000 which was covered over two years by an older gentleman, so I presume it was a very gentle 11k miles - so it's possible maybe that the muffler hasn't broken in properly?

Thanks for your help! The face-lift CL isn't a very common car so it's hard to get hold of a second opinion, so I appreciate it :)

Mine is on 36000 now and is a November 2013 car.

I am no expert on exhaust dynamics but I would have thought a newer exhaust would settle done after getting some soot in it but I would only expect that to turn a tinnier sound into a deeper sound.

I would guess it is the same story for the back boxes you mention.

No problem. No, I've not seen another CL on the road I don't think.

Actually the reason for moving it on is because it is too subdued and cooler than a cucumber. I need a little more drama in my life and as stunning as it is, the GT is the nicest looking car I've known about for a long time and my opinion has not changed in getting on for 10 years.

If you want to consider your options, get yourself in contact with Imran @ Torqueflow exhausts based in MSL Performance.

That guy is a wizard and can translate what audio you want from the car into practical exhaust modifications. Top guy as well although no surprise really given they are based with MSLP.

You can start small and move on depending on what you like. If you are already questioning it (as I did with my E55), it means you already know you want to do it. My only advice would be don't do anything with the back boxes until you've tried other things first as these can create drone and too much volume (for my liking anyway).

The bottom line is, if you like the car and want more sound, just do it. I don't regret doing my E55 and would do it all again if I had my time over. :bannana:

Mine is on 36000 now and is a November 2013 car.

I am no expert on exhaust dynamics but I would have thought a newer exhaust would settle done after getting some soot in it but I would only expect that to turn a tinnier sound into a deeper sound.

I would guess it is the same story for the back boxes you mention.

No problem. No, I've not seen another CL on the road I don't think.

Actually the reason for moving it on is because it is too subdued and cooler than a cucumber. I need a little more drama in my life and as stunning as it is, the GT is the nicest looking car I've known about for a long time and my opinion has not changed in getting on for 10 years.

If you want to consider your options, get yourself in contact with Imran @ Torqueflow exhausts based in MSL Performance.

That guy is a wizard and can translate what audio you want from the car into practical exhaust modifications. Top guy as well although no surprise really given they are based with MSLP.

You can start small and move on depending on what you like. If you are already questioning it (as I did with my E55), it means you already know you want to do it. My only advice would be don't do anything with the back boxes until you've tried other things first as these can create drone and too much volume (for my liking anyway).

The bottom line is, if you like the car and want more sound, just do it. I don't regret doing my E55 and would do it all again if I had my time over. :bannana:

Oh nice. Yeah the GT is gorgeous.

I'll give it another 2000 miles or so of hard driving to see if the exhaust changes at all, but I shall keep the contact you've told me about in mind.

Thanks for the advice, I hate drone! I like a clean raspy burble :D

Thanks

So I learnt something today about exhaust strangely.

Apparently, as a new car is used more the baffles in the back boxes change (loosen I think it was) such that the car becomes louder.

This was with regard to Granturismos - which makes quite a difference apparently.

This takes a year or three to take effect though.

So I learnt something today about exhaust strangely.

Apparently, as a new car is used more the baffles in the back boxes change (loosen I think it was) such that the car becomes louder.

This was with regard to Granturismos - which makes quite a difference apparently.

This takes a year or three to take effect though.

Oh interesting. I shall have to give the existing mufflers a chance for now then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom