2017 S205 C200 Petrol - Engine Sounds Shocking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moussaka

Car
S205 C200 Petrol AMG Line
Hi All,

Long story short - my 67 plate S205 sounds terrible, in my opinion. I have only had the car around 3 1/2 months, and initially thought there was an interior weird ticking noise.

I am now convinced that the noise is coming in from the engine bay, and that the engine does not sound correct for a car with 41k miles on the clock. I know nothing about cars or engines at all, but have read around, and am now slightly concerned that this could be a piston wrist issue, or an issue with the high pressure fuel pump? I checked the oil today, and it was on minimum. The car was apparently serviced at MB in Sept 21, and has done circa 3k miles since then.

The sound is audible in the cabin, and gets slightly louder as you accelerate. The noise is also getting slightly louder, I think, week by week. The car drives fine, with no loss of power. It basically sounds like a diesel too,

I've uploaded a video here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
- 2 min of engine running from cold.

The engine sounds really weird at
and

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated before I go and spend ££££ getting MB to look at it.

Thanks in advance

Dave

They all sound terrible, it’s just the way they are. Direct injection is the reason. Noise in the cabin though is likely a problem with the rubber boot on the steering column that seals the bulkhead noise. That’s a common problem

They all sound terrible, it’s just the way they are. Direct injection is the reason. Noise in the cabin though is likely a problem with the rubber boot on the steering column that seals the bulkhead noise. That’s a common problem
Thanks Jobsworth - good to know that they all sound shocking then. Maybe I am being a bit paranoid - just read a few horror stories.

I'll have a look into the steering column issue. 👍

Apologies if I’ve missed something. How “low” was the oil when you checked it ? Below mid-range, bottom of range, below that?

What happened, or didn’t happen, when you topped the oil up? Any change / no change / haven’t topped it up yet?

Welcome if you bought the car from a dealer or MB I would take it back and get them to sort it.

HERE IS A VIDEO [UNFORTUNATELY NOT IN ENGLISH] which shows the pump physical layout. check your engine oil for signs of fuel dilution from the pump leaking internally.

It's the steering gaiter. Mine was done under warranty so not sure on cost but happened at 36k miles

They all sound terrible, it’s just the way they are. Direct injection is the reason.

That makes me glad to still have port injection.

Some time ago I posted a table of decibel values at idle and different speeds for a number of MB's.
Taking my port injected C180K as an example the measured noise level at idle went up by 3 decibels and at motorway speeds by 6 decibels for a later model year that used direct injection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom