2017 S350d Shaking while breaking between 50 - 30 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SclassOwner

Car
Sclass W222
As per the title my S350d has started to shake while breaking between 50 - 40 mph, at higher and lower than that it doesnt shake while breaking.

While driving normal at any speed there is no shaking, car has 35k miles.

Im thinking its the brake discs, could they be warped already at this mileage?

It's a bit long but worth a read :

It's a bit long but worth a read :

Thanks for the reply and the link to this thread, I tried this today, speeding up to 70mph and breaking hard down to 20 about 20 times or so but the shaking is still there.

I took both front rims off and clean the matting surfaces where the alloy meets the hub & disc, I remember previously finding it difficult to remove the rim from car as there was corrosion where the alloy meets the hub, unfortunately after a quick test drive shaking is still present.

Found this other thread which sounds very similar:

In the end this poster couldnt get to the bottom of it and ended up grading to full AMG spec brakes which sounds crazy expensive. I really hope i dont have the same issue.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue a number of years back with my C270CDI .

Not long after getting the car , I did my usual and replaced the disc and pads all round with new ones .

Normally , I would only fit ATE components throughout , but at that time ATE front discs were out of stock , so I ordered Pagid , considering them a reputable alternative.

After a few weeks/months I started experiencing this judder whilst braking , discussing on here another member mentioned there had been a case of sub standard counterfeit Pagid discs being sold by a certain distributor - the one I got my parts from !

With this in mind , I went elsewhere and bought a set of ATE Power Discs plus another set of pads . Problem solved and it never happened again as long as I owned the car .

Since then I have stuck rigidly to never using anything other than genuine ATE brake components . They may cost a bit more than the others , but brakes are not an area in which to cut corners .

This was the pile of components for my W140 brake rebuild last year . The only non ATE items being the new pipes I made up myself to replace the old ones throughout.

A293ECCE-E510-4A05-B2B0-F25F0D06CFAD.jpeg

I had a similar issue a number of years back with my C270CDI .

Not long after getting the car , I did my usual and replaced the disc and pads all round with new ones .

Normally , I would only fit ATE components throughout , but at that time ATE front discs were out of stock , so I ordered Pagid , considering them a reputable alternative.

After a few weeks/months I started experiencing this judder whilst braking , discussing on here another member mentioned there had been a case of sub standard counterfeit Pagid discs being sold by a certain distributor - the one I got my parts from !

With this in mind , I went elsewhere and bought a set of ATE Power Discs plus another set of pads . Problem solved and it never happened again as long as I owned the car .

Since then I have stuck rigidly to never using anything other than genuine ATE brake components . They may cost a bit more than the others , but brakes are not an area in which to cut corners .

This was the pile of components for my W140 brake rebuild last year . The only non ATE items being the new pipes I made up myself to replace the old ones throughout.

View attachment 101338
Cheers for that I will look into ATE discs and pads for the sclass

Sounds like a warped disc, replacing discs should solve it. I use Zimmermann discs and pads on my ML63, apart from a lot of brake dust they're going strong 1.5 years later.

I used auto-doc to source my parts, German supplier, in fact I've used them for all parts other than those which are a dealer supplied part only, might be worth checking them out.

I have a suspect feeling it might be a sticky caliper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom