2018 A-Class Brand New Model - Spyshots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
2018-mercedes-benz-a-class-spy-photo.jpg

Looks like it has a bigger boot! Thank god

Looks like it has a bigger boot! Thank god

Room for hybrid batteries?

A200h?

Of course if it had a dual floor........ been there.

Looks more like a facelift than an entire new floorpan / chassis. Will still have that unpleasantly high front dashboard/bulkhead/window line of the previous A CLASS and derivatives - making you think you are sitting in some sort of "tub" Raise the seats to get a better view out and the restricted headroom begins to intrude. The A class is quite a big car ,but doesn't feel it inside --visibility wise anyway. No doubt the new model will have many detailed improvements - possibly better dash- maybe new powerplants but unless the basic body has changed -it will still be a no from me.:(

Another A Class(less).

Here we are talking on an MB forum about 5 door hatchbacks...that's all it is.

This from motor authority

2018 Mercedes-Benz A-Class spy shots

The new A-Class is expected to be the first model to ride on the next-generation version of the current MFA (Modular Front-drive Architecture) platform used in compact cars from Mercedes and Infiniti. Referred to as MFA2, the next-generation platform will bring weight savings plus greater capacity for alternative drivetrains. A stretched version of this platform will underpin the next B-Class, CLA and even a new SUV rumored to be called the GLB.

This to me indicates a modified MFA platform- maybe a bit longer wheelbase rather than an entirely new design
To quote Pete Townsend:- meet the new tub---- same as the old tub!;)

It's a new model not a facelift. As much as I like the look now, I'm glad they're doing away with the rear light clusters that intrude on the boot opening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another A Class(less).

Here we are talking on an MB forum about 5 door hatchbacks...that's all it is.

I know, I mean I understand exactly why Mercedes and BMW are now doing hatches and miniSUVs and the like but I'm old skool - I want my Merc badge on a saloon preferably, or an estate or coupe if necessary. And RWD. Seriously.

Fair enough I guess its in the eye of the beholder. I will reserve judgement till I see the 2018 model " in the flesh" To me a model change might be typified by the W211 to W212 E class model change where an unmistakeable new model emerged. Perhaps the financial stingency of " platform sharing" or "modification" is dictating subsequent models will gradually assume an almost generic shape where they become indistinguishable from one another. Where in the end one jelly mold looks much like another jelly mold. :(

ps this phenomenon is not unique to Mercedes ----AUDI and BMW do similar things. " New cars" to me have new power plants/transmissions, body shell/platforms----- typified by BMW's idrive models and JAGUAR's medium saloon alloy body shell

Last edited:
This from motor authority

2018 Mercedes-Benz A-Class spy shots

The new A-Class is expected to be the first model to ride on the next-generation version of the current MFA (Modular Front-drive Architecture) platform used in compact cars from Mercedes and Infiniti. Referred to as MFA2, the next-generation platform will bring weight savings plus greater capacity for alternative drivetrains. A stretched version of this platform will underpin the next B-Class, CLA and even a new SUV rumored to be called the GLB.

This to me indicates a modified MFA platform- maybe a bit longer wheelbase rather than an entirely new design
To quote Pete Townsend:- meet the new tub---- same as the old tub!;)

It is a completely new model, whether or not it uses the same platform :D

I think the jelly mould thing affects generations of cars, they all end up looking very similar across manufacturers. I'm not a fan of the angular styling that infected all the designs up to about last year. A chap at work has a new civic type-r - it's very well built, very well equipped, very capable. And stunningly ugly. It's nice to see the very latest designs moving back to softer lines.

To me a model change might be typified by the W211 to W212 E class

With the new E-class sharing the MRA platform of the C- and S-Class models, and the A-, B-, CLA, GLA etc all sharing, then I guess you are in trouble.

You can't expect MB to develop a whole new platform for each model change

The question you have to ask is, if they managed to do it in the past why not now? My concern is that the less a manufacturer innovates their designs/ technology the greater their risk of losing market share if other rival manufacturers are in fact offering more advanced designs.

The question you have to ask is, if they managed to do it in the past why not now? My concern is that the less a manufacturer innovates their designs/ technology the greater their risk of losing market share if other rival manufacturers are in fact offering more advanced designs.

The R107 was made for 18 years??..... I guess your new platform per car is possible, if you can wait.
Whereas in the 1950s, Mercedes-Benz was producing hand-assembled 300s and 300SLs along with conveyor assembled Pontons (190, 190SL and 220) etc., the fintail family united the entire Mercedes-Benz range of vehicles onto one automobile platform, reducing production time and costs.

Facts get you every time. :)

The R107 was made for 18 years??..... I guess your new platform per car is possible, if you can wait.
Whereas in the 1950s, Mercedes-Benz was producing hand-assembled 300s and 300SLs along with conveyor assembled Pontons (190, 190SL and 220) etc., the fintail family united the entire Mercedes-Benz range of vehicles onto one automobile platform, reducing production time and costs.

Facts get you every time. :)

I was going to make the exact same point. Models are lasting less and less time. A new platform for each would be uneconomical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom