2018 E220 S213 Passenger Air Bag Warning Light(s) Intermittent Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smartfazer

Car
E 220d S213
Hi All,

I have an intermittent problem with my Passenger Air Bag Warning Lights. Basically, when I turn on the ignition/engine the passenger air bag warning lights do not go out but show that the passenger air bag is "off". If I sit in the passenger seat and "jiggle" about I can get the warning light to then switch to Air Bag "on" and then go out - Like it should.

If I then take my weight off the seat (or get out of the car the warning lights come back on showing the amber Air Bag "off" again.

I know some of the earlier models had a similar problem, but has anybody got any thoughts and/or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi All,

I have an intermittent problem with my Passenger Air Bag Warning Lights. Basically, when I turn on the ignition/engine the passenger air bag warning lights do not go out but show that the passenger air bag is "off". If I sit in the passenger seat and "jiggle" about I can get the warning light to then switch to Air Bag "on" and then go out - Like it should.

If I then take my weight off the seat (or get out of the car the warning lights come back on showing the amber Air Bag "off" again.

I know some of the earlier models had a similar problem, but has anybody got any thoughts and/or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
It sounds like the occupancy sensor in the seat is either faulty or has a poor connection. Check that all of the connections under the seat are firmly in place. Do not unplug any without disconnecting the battery though.

It sounds like the occupancy sensor in the seat is either faulty or has a poor connection. Check that all of the connections under the seat are firmly in place. Do not unplug any without disconnecting the battery though.
Thanks,

That's what I was thinking. But thanks re the advice about the battery.

Thanks,

That's what I was thinking. But thanks re the advice about the battery.
Is the car still under warranty?

Not from Mercedes, but I have an "all encompassing one" from the AA (apparently), I'm about to find out 🤞
When was the car registered? MB give a 3 year warranty I thought?

When was the car registered? MB give a 3 year warranty I thought?
Good point!

Registered in April 2018, so I had better get in quick.

I hadn't thought of that as I didn't purchase from a Main Dealer.

Thanks again.

Good point!

Registered in April 2018, so I had better get in quick.

I hadn't thought of that as I didn't purchase from a Main Dealer.

Thanks again.
Let MB sort it out, I wouldn't mention the other warranty (pity that didn't start until the MB warranty expired) and get it sorted ASAP as otherwise it might fail the first MOT if the fault is not fixed.

Hi All,

Just to give you an update.

The car has been at MB today (and is still with them) to check this out for me.

Apparently the "passenger" air bag warning lights are supposed to stay on until someone sits in the passenger seat - can't say I've notice before. Is this right?

Also, whilst there MB did a health check and found:-

1) a cut in the inner rear n/s tyre down to the core - so a new tyre needed.
2) a fuel pipe was routed wrong which was vibrating against the exhaust at low revs (I asked them to check the noise), so they've re-routed the fuel pipe.
3) the car battery has a resistance fault apparently which they are replacing under warranty, they've just got to wait until tomorrow before they get it in stock. - I wonder if they battery problem was causing the air bag warning problem as well. We shall see.

Krgds, Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom