2018 E63s carbon ceramic brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4ner

Car
C43 AMG
I’m looking at an e63s with ccb it’s a 2018 with 22k miles. The only thing putting me off the car is the replacement for them, which can be around 10k.
I’ve heard the brakes last a long time, if I get the car, I won’t be having it long, maybe around 10-15k miles. In that time would I have to change them?

A quick scoot on eBay shows example prices of £424 for a front set and £285 for rear.

Seems also that you can easily get 40k plus miles out of them in 'normal' day to day driving, if not more, from what I have read. So in theory, should not need replacing for the mileage OP is looking at...in theory!

I’m looking at an e63s with ccb it’s a 2018 with 22k miles. The only thing putting me off the car is the replacement for them, which can be around 10k.
I’ve heard the brakes last a long time, if I get the car, I won’t be having it long, maybe around 10-15k miles. In that time would I have to change them?
had an edition 1 c63s coupe that had ceramics on it had done 35k purchased from mercedes with the 2 year warranty, a week or so after delivery noticed the ccb had qute a few cracks on the face so i sent it in to my local dealer who said the discs were scrap. spoke to supplying dealer who wanted to do there own check on them so they had the car transported back to themselves and confirmed that the discs had to be replaced but because of the cost approx £10k with pads and fitting they wanted to just refund me for the car but i refused and they replaced them free of charge but they lost massive money on the car .the manager said he would have been better off sending the car to the auction.
just be careful and have a proper check done on the disc before buying,even if it meens having the car booked in mercedes before purchase.
hope that helps.

had an edition 1 c63s coupe that had ceramics on it had done 35k purchased from mercedes with the 2 year warranty, a week or so after delivery noticed the ccb had qute a few cracks on the face so i sent it in to my local dealer who said the discs were scrap. spoke to supplying dealer who wanted to do there own check on them so they had the car transported back to themselves and confirmed that the discs had to be replaced but because of the cost approx £10k with pads and fitting they wanted to just refund me for the car but i refused and they replaced them free of charge but they lost massive money on the car .the manager said he would have been better off sending the car to the auction.
just be careful and have a proper check done on the disc before buying,even if it meens having the car booked in mercedes before purchase.
hope that helps.
Yeah, that’s the thing I’m worried about, it’s not from Mercedes, I’ll ask the dealer to check them and see if they can see anything, or get them to send it to Mercedes. Can’t have a 10k bill like that.

Hi , I would be worried that the car has been thrashed !

My nephew literally $hat himself when he realised the price of new ceramic discs and pads for the V8 manual Audi estate he had bought , he knew that Audi had bought Lamborghini but he didn't realis he too had bought a Lamborghini cunning disguised as an Audi. He got rid of it in a flash....and replaced it with an Audi R8 V10...:doh: .

I personally can not see a good reason for a car that spends most of it's life on the road to have ceramic brake disc's . But each to their own I suppose.

By the way, ceramic discs are supposed to be covered in tiny cracks. Sounds possible that the story mentioned above had them replaced unnecessarily...

This is normal.
View attachment 115028
That’s what I’ve seen on some, some say they’ve had issues some not. But I think for a 20k miles car they should be fine and last for the time I have the car.

Leave well Alone, You don't know what other Surprises lay in store. Good day

eh? leave well alone? A car on 22k with carbon brakes?

Carbon ceramics are pretty incredible. Friend of mine took me out in his new Porsche GT3 for a blast. On a dual carriageway at a very healthy speed coming up to a roundabout we got to the stage where I was wondering if he noticed the roundabout (but didn't want to mention it), then got to the stage where I was pressing the imaginary brake pedal on the passengers side. Then, laughing he hit the brakes, my god I thought I would go out the window with the retardation. Only problem I can see if the following car without ceramics is a bit close if you have to stop quickly. Normal driving, the discs are supposed to last for the life of the car but that's debatable & pads are around 50k plus. You have to watch removing/refitting wheels as discs can be chipped then scrap.

I didn't know there is a wear indicator on Ceramic discs, so you can check whether they are likely to need changing anytime soon.
A3F19528-D755-46F0-97EC-31343FD4D80D.jpegBA0E6ADE-CCBA-43B6-B0B7-F5B2F4D4370E.jpegFBE4438B-FA5A-4EDC-8D5F-852EA256337E.png

Hi , agree that these cars are built for speed but being driven quickly and abuse is a different sinerio.
Unlikely they’ll be abused, ofc they’ll be driven hard but they are built for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom