2019 E class 4matic - steering judders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charliefarley

Car
E400d estate
Had my E400d Avant for a couple of months now and really chuffed with it in every aspect other than a rather strange sensation and sound when applying a tight steering lock.
I regularly experience what can best be described as a ’clunk’ which is felt through the steering wheel and just about audibly whenever manoeuvring on a tight lock, (not necessarily full). I have googled this and have found certain explanations including tyre type etc. However do any other 4matic e-class drivers experience similar / should I be worried? The car is on 19” alloys with Pirelli Cinturato tyres.
(I have tried calling my dealer today - but no reply).
Thanks in advance for any pointers or experienc!

It's an unfortunate design " characteristic" of some right-hand drive 4- Matic models rather than a fault. At least that's what Mercedes will tell you. The effects are experienced mainly in cold weather and can be mitigated to an extent by a suitable choice of wheels and tyres [all-weather/ winter type]
It's often described as "crabbing " and if you do a search on the forum you will get lots of useful information about it.

It's an unfortunate design " characteristic" of some right-hand drive 4- Matic models rather than a fault. At least that's what Mercedes will tell you. The effects are experienced mainly in cold weather and can be mitigated to an extent by a suitable choice of wheels and tyres [all-weather/ winter type]
It's often described as "crabbing " and if you do a search on the forum you will get lots of useful information about it.
Thanks - will look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom