2019 E220 Digital Dash - USB Music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xcaliba

Car
E220 AMG Line Estate
I have trawled through the huge number of posts on USB drives and music formats but I can't find an answer. I am trying to use a 128Gb USB thumb drive full of music to play through the 'Media' facility. The car detects the drive formatted in XFAT but when it searches it only recognises a tiny portion of the music and lumps the rest of the files into 'unknown'. All of the music is tagged and in folders by artist and album but I can not get the car to show the information. I have tried mp3, ALAC and FLAC formats to no avail.

The really weird thing is that if I use an SD card, it works perfectly.

Anyone help please?

OK, sorted. I bought 2 x 250 Gb micro thumb drives for my music, one each in USBs 1 & 2. They are formatted XFAT. The music files need to be fully tagged with both the Artists name and the Album Artists details added. I found that if I started the car, waited for the 'Me' icon and the '4g' icon to appear on the LH screen, then selected Media, the search function would index and sort all of the music. With regard to number of files and size, I have 11000 tracks on each drive, with over 100 Gb of music on each one. This method works for mp3, FLAC and ALAC (M4A) files.

Only took me 3 days :wallbash:

Thanks for updating the thread.
The music files need to be fully tagged with both the Artists name and the Album Artists details added.
Was this the final bit of the jigsaw for you?

If so you're not alone as many don't realise that the id3 tags are critical to the indexing of music tracks on these cars. Having files ordered in folders by artist and album alone no longer cuts it.

Thanks for updating the thread.

Was this the final bit of the jigsaw for you?

If so you're not alone as many don't realise that the id3 tags are critical to the indexing of music tracks on these cars. Having files ordered in folders by artist and album alone no longer cuts it.
I think it was a combination of the id3 tags and allowing the system to get ready to scan the files with Gracenote.

This is also what I was looking for for mobile music and ringtones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom