202 C Class With AMG Mono II's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonathanC250

Car
2005 W203 C320 CDI
Hi there,

Does anyone else who has these wheels on their C Class have different bolts for the front and back??

I have the staggered ones, so the rears are wider.

But my question is why are the bolts for the rears so much shorter than the fronts?

Luckily enough, when i bought the wheels they came with the bolts!!

But it was only upon fitting them, using my old bolts, as they have silver faces, the rears would not turn! :(

Is there a set of locking wheel bolts to cater for this set up? ( with the 2 shorter bolts in it)

Thanks in advance!

Jon

bolts should be the same all round, maybe they were on a different car hence the bolts! if you had alloys on your car before, just use the same bolts

I used my old bolts first time, and the rears did not turn. . . . . so i needed the shorter bolts.

The alloys that were on it were the original 16 inch sport alloys,

Alloys on it now are Genuine AMG Mono II 17inch (225/45/17)et35 fronts and (245/40/17) et30 rear

Last edited:
I don't think that the et of the wheels should make a difference to the wheel bolts length.

It seems to!!

With the original bolts the rear wheels do not turn, so i have to use the shorter ones that came with the wheels.

The bolts that came with the AMG wheels consist of 10 bolts the same length as my original ones, and 10 shorter ones.

Come on, there are so many pictures of w202's on here with AMG mono II's fitted to them, someone must actually know!!

All mine are the same size, I too went from the 16" 'Sport' alloys to the Style II's and used the existing bolts.

Thanks KillerHertz,

Thats the kind of answer i was looking for!!!

Now i have to find out why mine will not turn with the original bolts!

Its the fact that my original bolts have silver faces on them, so they look better, and i have locking bolts for this set too, which as i've just refurbed my wheels, i'd like to fit!!!

I know there are replica wheels around, which look similar but dont have AMG on the front, but are there fake AMG's?

I ask this as mine were sold to me as 'Genuine' and all look genuine, have AMG on the front and the part numbers, offset and mercedes sign stamped in the back of them.

Just trying to think of possibilities of reasons the original bolts dont fit.

On my C240T I have standard OEM 15" alloy wheels with winter tyres for use in... winter and staggered 17" (AMG style) for the summer. I can use the same bolts and locking nuts for both sets. I have however 5 shorter nuts for the spare wheel in the boot in case. Wheel is steel of course, so needs shorter bolts. The C43 uses the same length bolts as the 15" OEM alloy wheel

Last edited:
Should add that my AMG styling IIs came with a set of bolts that had longer heads for the rear. This was almost entirely cosmetic though as the threads were the same length - the longer heads just meant the wrench fitted more easily into the deeper holes and risked less damage.

Should add that my AMG styling IIs came with a set of bolts that had longer heads for the rear. This was almost entirely cosmetic though as the threads were the same length - the longer heads just meant the wrench fitted more easily into the deeper holes and risked less damage.

Now that is a very intelligent solution to use for the rears :thumb: True, you have to go and "search" for the head with the wrench with the risk of scratching the paint on the side of the hole, not forgetting the anti theft nut head which is smaller :D

Tried something out today,

Took one of the shorter bolts out and fitted one of my locking nuts, which is the length of the origonal bolts, and the wheel turned almost a full turn and then stopped and made a clunk sound. Its as if the bolts are hitting something.

I still cant work it out! :(

Thanks for your help so far.

Heres a picture of the bolts, the ones to the left of the locking key, are my original ones, and to the right are the ones that came with the wheels.

The longer one is the same length as the other 2, but the furthest one to the right, is the shorter ones, which i have had to use for the rears

2s9oz6p.jpg

What else could effect this?

As everyone who has done this, has used their original bolts no problem.

But if i use them, with all 5 in, the wheels will not turn!

when i tried it with 1, it almost did a full turn the stopped.

It sounds like its hitting somnething inside.

Any ideas??

Last edited:
The bolts are hitting the brake shoes. The only reason I can think of for this, is that the hub centres of the 9" rear wheels have been machined to increase the offset. This is the only reason the original bolts would cause the problem you have described.

If you post a photo of the inside of one of the rear wheels (just around the bolt holes), I could confirm this theory.

If that is what has been done to my wheels, what would be the answer?

Get some 10mm hubcenric spacers?

(The bolts are 10mm shorter than the originals)

Would that be a safe way to resolve this?

Id either use the shorter bolts that you have. Or as you say use a 10mm spacer.

From the photo it looks like it has been machined to reduce offset, possibly for a w124 or a VW.

ok, thanks for that Aka$h.

What would be better?

Shorter bolts or spacers?

If the wheels have had a bit machined off them, wouldn't they be sitting wrong on the car?

Would this make any difference to handling or anything like that?

Thanks

ok, thanks for that Aka$h.

What would be better?

Shorter bolts or spacers?

If the wheels have had a bit machined off them, wouldn't they be sitting wrong on the car?

Would this make any difference to handling or anything like that?

Thanks

No they will sit as they should on the car. The only difference as has been mentioned is that they will have been machined to reduce the offset. The machining will not change how they sit.

Handling will be fine. You shouldn't experience any adverse affects.

Spacer or not that will be your decision. It will be fine with either shorter bolts or the spacer instead. Without the spacer the wheel may not look right on the car as it may sit too far in the arch. If using a spacer make sure its of high quality and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom