202 C230K Caliper/pad problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_Doe

Car
C32
Afternoon people

Ok I have this problem which is a little hard to explain but I shall try.

when i bought my car it was making a ratling noise from the rear near side wheel. HE told me it was a spring and very simple (which always makes you wonder why he hasnt bothered to do it then). Anyway so after a little looking around I found that my pad is moving nice a freely in the caliper. So everytime i go over a bump the pad bounces up and down inside the caliper making an annoying rattle. I took the pads out and they wernt that old but i noticed that the pin on the fitting kit was moving freely on the pads. So the loop on the back/top (depending which way you look) was larger then it should be and the pin was not holding it in place. So it was pretty much like using a pen to spin a roll of celetape around.

I bought some new pads and a fitting kit and BINGO no more noise! pads sit nice and secure and they dont rattle atall.

BUT!!! It's back now :-(. lasted around a month now its noisy again.

Does anyone have any idea? Oh and if i drive over a bump with my foot on the brake gently the pad sits tight and dont make a noise. So to me it appears that the piston part of the caliper is moving ok.

I got a quote from a local parts place and for me to replace both calipers, discs, pads and new fitting kit will be about £250. Which is reasonable if it will cure the problem but im no mechanic so i dont wanna throw £250 on brake stuff that might not fix the problem when I do have other things that need looking at. I.e Rust, cheap nasty bolt on back back with leaks, strange knock on the front suspension area going over bumps, rear elec window not working, drilled boot lock, door handle broken... actually why did i buy this car!

Anyways! any advice/ opinions would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Hi

How old are the rear brake discs?? maybe discs are too worn.

mazza

Hi,
You pads are held in place with the pins, but normally you have a spring type metal clip that sits across the back of the pads as well, i would think normally that this would stop the pads from rattling, have you got it fitted? (Item 11 in the link).
The clearance between your pins and the holes in the pads sound normal to me.
http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/ca...aebe2e2ecdbe5dbeeaca3b4fd536e685f72656f6c2117

Last edited:
Yep it's fitted. This is why I don't understand. All the parts that should be there,are. I have the little shims on the pads (29) and I have the spring fitted (11) which is held in place by the pin (8). Just seems strange that something would cause the hole where the pin sits to wear out quickly.

Oh and the discs don't look too worn but they are not tip top condition

Any ideas anyone? I bought some wider pads today for a w203 c230 I think. I'm gonna see if they sit a bit better and if not I can return them. I know it's a pretty stupid idea to fit the incorrect pads but this is a little bit of a strange problem.

Hi,
I have re-read your intial post and i really can,t understand the problem you are having, regarding the pins in the pads, the holes in the pads should be elongated to allow the pads to freely move on the pins as the pistons move the pads on and off the discs.
Maybe a picture would better help to explain the problem.

Close up photo might help.

Also I'm trying to think laterally - could it be something else (but something where slack is taken up when you have foot on the pedal). Hmm with your foot on the brake pedal the whole of the rear suspension will be loaded differently to when on the throttle?

No clonk when first braking having changed direction from forward to reverse or vice versa? That's normally a sympton of loose pads/calipers.

Ok I shall take some pictures tomorrow and hopefully get a video onto YouTube to show what is happening. Will update tomorrow

Are the callipers exactly the same in appearance? Could one have been replaced by the previous owner?

I may have the answer.

The calipers corrode heavily inside where the pad mounts and that in turn allows the pads to move. Take a pic for us with the pads out.

I may have the answer.

The calipers corrode heavily inside where the pad mounts and that in turn allows the pads to move. Take a pic for us with the pads out.
Indeed mine were corroded when I changed the rear discs, particularly where the pad rests closest to the hub. Although it had the opposite affect as the expansion of the corrosion made the pads very tight - in fact it was difficult to get the new pads in (until I chipped some off - but obviously not enought to make them rattle :D).

Morning all. Ok i got to work this morning and I have taken a short video with the wheel on to show the movement I get. After work i shall remove the wheel and the pads and take a picture for you. the calipers are very badly corroded and do not look like they have ever been changed so it could just be that they finally need replacing due to the corrosion.

Below is the link to youtube to show the movement im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-r7gOaxfY

It's very hard to explain lol. All i can really say is when i bought the car the pads were lose, so i bought new pads and fitting kit. When the new pads/ fitting kit went in they were nice, tight and secure (bit like the start of my relationship) but after a few weeks of driving they have gone back to rattling like mad over each bump.

What i noticed is that the when i first put the pin through the pad it was tight but now the pad can move freely around the pin, with the pin actually doing nothing at all.

New calipers +pads+pins+springs and maybe new discs altho your discs appear to be OK probably the best answer . Maybe one of your caliper pistons is partly seized since the pads should really always be a "gently rubbing fit" against the disc- which makes me wonder if its the right caliper for that width of disc?

Thats what my mate said at the parts shop. He thinks the calipers have been changed before and they are not the ones recommended for the kompressor. So he brought out loads of different types of pads and found some exactly the same as mine but slightly wider. He told me to try them in the caliper and if they dont fit then return them.

Ok well I replaced the caliper as the pad was able to move freely thru the caliper and I know it's only ment to be able to go in one way and not fall out the other side. And so far no rattle but I shall update later once it's been on the car for a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom