202 C240 Diff Oil Change, Breather, Weeping Seals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevesey

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa 156 1.8TS
Just changed the Oil in my diff - put 200ml more in than came out. Fair amount weeping from seals so removed and cleaned breather (100K miles on car).

Needed a special tool to remove breather - old 11/16 spanner with a 30 degree bend just before the head :) this means you can get it in and turn without hitting the sparewheel hollow. Even then I'm glad I'm a skinny build with hands to match - wouldn't be easy for those with thick fingers to get it back in.

Some evidence of diff oil being sprayed on the underbody (good rust prevention!) - was wondering are there any of the stop leak (seal softener) products for diffs? Have have very little faith they will actually do anything - but if on inspection in a few weeks fresh oil has appeared on the areas I have cleaned I might be tempted to try some.

The oil in diffs does foam, and it is the foaming that pushes it out, if you have done the vents then it should be better. always best to use the correct oil.

there are modified breathers for some late 124's and early 202's

Changing the 3 seals is not too bad a job, it took me about 4 hours, and its been oil tight ever since. I changed the oil in mine and thats what seem to make it leak in the first place. I was concerned that any seal swelling stuff would ruin the oil.

Changing the 3 seals is not too bad a job, it took me about 4 hours, and its been oil tight ever since. I changed the oil in mine and thats what seem to make it leak in the first place. I was concerned that any seal swelling stuff would ruin the oil.
I changed my diff oil last month as well. I've also got seapage from the N/S/R driveshaft end. What's involved in pulling the shaft out and replacing the seal(s) ? Can anyone tell me what seals are required / tools required. Thanks.

I changed my diff oil last month as well. I've also got seapage from the N/S/R driveshaft end. What's involved in pulling the shaft out and replacing the seal(s) ? Can anyone tell me what seals are required / tools required. Thanks.

Do make sure that the vents are clear

It depends on which diff you have but if it's like item No12 in the linky then it's a case of drop disconnect he driveshafts and prop shaft, drop the diff and remove the backplate.

On the inboard ends of the output shafts there are 'C' clips (item 40). Pull the clips off using the small hole in the tab then slide out the shafts.
remove the seals and replace, etc.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...623716.634&CT=F&cat=65F&SID=35&SGR=015&SGN=01

It depends on which diff you have but if it's like item No12 in the linky then it's a case of drop disconnect he driveshafts and prop shaft, drop the diff and remove the backplate.

On the inboard ends of the output shafts there are 'C' clips (item 40). Pull the clips off using the small hole in the tab then slide out the shafts.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=203061&M=112%2E912&GA=722%2E696&GM=716%2E623716%2E634&CT=F&cat=65F&SID=35&SGR=015&SGN=01
Dieselman,Television,Stevesey and Harleyman, Thanks for this advice. Mine is starting to seap N/S/R worse than before. I checked it this morning and wiped it clean again before I set off, to see how bad it is when I get home. That will be approx 525 miles total journey over 48 Hrs.. I think both Dieselman and TV commented on this leak, after looking at the pic I posted last month.

Guess where I am staying tonight, in a hotel about 1 mile from Ian B W, Freckleton, Lancs. Here on company business.

PS. If I get time, he may get a visit, and workshop health and safety inspection tomorrow !

Last edited:

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...623716.634&CT=F&cat=65F&SID=35&SGR=015&SGN=01
Dieselman, Do I need to drop the diff. Can I not replace the seal in situa, with the shaft removed ?

You need to remove the diff in order to remove the back cover so you can pull out the circlips that hold the output shafts in, its really not too difficult as long as you have a decent set of torqs sockets to undo the drive shafts. The seals prise out easily and I used my oil filter removing tool to drive the new seals in. While you have the diff out its worth considering doing the input shaft seal too, if you do you will need a new nut for it.

BTW a good tip I got from Oliver (BlackC55) was to use the dashboard pulling hooks to remove the circlips holding the output shafts in.

BTW.....The newer diffs have no bolts holding the shafts in and need the shafts removed by disasembling some of the suspension on both sides.

Thanks for the info on the seals. I think I will check the breather first and hope that this is the problem. Checked the seapage tonight again when I got home.

After a 525 mile round trip, no new sign of any oil seapage. Strange.

Also had the pleasure of meeting Ian at 124Works and was made very welcome. Excellent workshop and a very busy place. (passed the health and safety test, with credit ! )

Got some good advice regarding my car which was very much appreciated. Thanks Ian.

:bannana:

Finally got round to removing and cleaning the Diff breather today. It turned out an easier job than I thought. Most difficult part was being able to see it, as I did not have an inspection lamp.

As suggested, I put a bend on an old 11/16 open ender, plug came out easy enough. Gave it a bath in release oil and refitted. Put a bit of red tape round it, to help me see it when wiggleing into position, which I later removed.

It was difficult to tell if ithe breather was actually blocked, as the whole thing was covered in muck, so I will just need to wait and see if the leak stops.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 125
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 126
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 126
With luck and your hard work it could be OK, the seals have never been a major weakness on any MB, once the vents are clean the oil has little to cling to, so any oil getting pushed up, returns down again much quicker, its almost the same with turbo breathers where the cure is to clean them.

Wish I still had your enthusiasm.

Glad the spanner trick helped - I trust you sprayed some waxoyl around while you where under there?

Saw your fuel filter post the other days - that's at the end of my list (along with brake fluid).

Glad the spanner trick helped - I trust you sprayed some waxoyl around while you where under there?

Saw your fuel filter post the other days - that's at the end of my list (along with brake fluid).
When doing your brake fluid change, suggest you invest in 4 new bleed nipples.

hi,
sorry if this seems a silly question but what oil does the diff use as im thinking of changeing mine as it has done 92000 mls and two of the seals are damp and clean out the breather.
many thanks.:eek:

hi,
sorry if this seems a silly question but what oil does the diff use as im thinking of changeing mine as it has done 92000 mls and two of the seals are damp and clean out the breather.
many thanks.:eek:
I used this.

Attachments

• Diff Oil.jpg
    Diff Oil.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom