202 oil change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tobus10

Car
2000 202 est
A silly question! I have a 202 2litre estate year 2000,due for oil change I intend to do this myself but am not too sure on the oil specs.I have available some Q8 Formula Advanced 10/40 spec mb 229/1..miles are 65000 will this oil be ok?
Jim

If it meets the MB 229.1 spec it should be fine. If its a semi-synthetic I would be changing it again at 6k miles.

I always used Castrol GTX and 9K miles, any problem?:confused:

Really depends on what kind of motoring you do-lots of short journeys V motorway miles. If memory serves correct MB have a service book interval of 9,000 miles so whatever you are happy with is fine. Consensus in many discussion groups is that Castrol GTX and its derivatives MAGNATEC etc are a triumph of advertising over substance. Apparently Semi-synthetic means something different to Castrol than the rest of us.:rolleyes: Many people here use Shell HELIX 10W40 or Miller's XSS 10W40 semi-synthetics and I can happily recommend both for non turbo MB engines of that vintage.

thanks

Many thanks for the usefull replies, I now discover A.T.S. the tyre people will do the change including Helix 10-40 and new filter for £30-00.Plus they drain the oil rather than suck it out! Fortunately we have a depot in the town so have booked it in,for this sort of money why should I lay on the floor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom