202 Owners - Hazard Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Does anybody else with a 202 have this strange thing . . .

With the Ignition off (key removed) do your hazard lights flash at a faster pace / irregularly ? (with ignition on, they should be normal - equally spaced - like the direction indicators)

I thought this had developed since I fitted my blinking mirrors, but apparently its normal !!

Anybody else got this ? Just curious, as I had never noticed it before. And if its normal - WHY ????

Cheers, S.

Havent noticed mate.

Did notice today that if you have your lights on and turn them off with the engine off, you get a beep

Originally posted by BBW
Havent noticed mate.

Did notice today that if you have your lights on and turn them off with the engine off, you get a beep

Yep - that is normal !!

(do you mean forget to turn lights OFF with the engine off & door open though . . . . ?)

I'm told that the issue with the hazards that I have described above only applies to post-facelift cars . . . pre-facelifts may not have it. So if you have it - tell me what year your car was.

S.

Sym,

Can't say I've ever tried this to notice, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and let you know what I find.

S.

mine does that too, if I take the key out the hazzards change pattern. With engine running it's tick...tock...tick...tock, without key it's tick tock...tick tock...tick tock. When I first saw this I thought (just like Sym) that I'd screwed the wiring up somewhere, but I'm onto my second w202 with this feature and it's stock in the indicator department! (for now ;) )

Do you mean they flash slower? i.e the bulbs are iluminated for less time, if so it makes sense as an energy saving feature so that there is less drain on the battery without the engine running.

Originally posted by jimmy
Do you mean they flash slower? i.e the bulbs are iluminated for less time, if so it makes sense as an energy saving feature so that there is less drain on the battery without the engine running.

Now isn't that clever!

Originally posted by sym
Yep - that is normal !!

(do you mean forget to turn lights OFF with the engine off & door open though . . . . ?)

I'm told that the issue with the hazards that I have described above only applies to post-facelift cars . . . pre-facelifts may not have it. So if you have it - tell me what year your car was.

S.

lol, nope im aware of that, im talking about a single beep, to let you know you have turned it off or summut

Originally posted by BBW
lol, nope im aware of that, im talking about a single beep, to let you know you have turned it off or summut
I have heard of that before, it is because the beep for the headlights-still-on is generated by the instrument cluster and as a kind-of quirk some of them beep when you turn the lights on or off. I don't think they're supposed to :)

Originally posted by jimmy

if ever there had to be a reason for it - that would be it !!

So . . .is it jut mine & Shude's that do it . . . . ?

Yes - bulbs are illuminated for less time. its not a "random" thing - they flash on for less time, then a longer pause before the next flash. Looks well dodgy when it happens !

S.

My W210 does this too. When I first heard the hazards doing it, I must confess I got out and checked as I thought a bulb had blown.

Quite why I don't know - I guess its another Teutonic "Becozz ve can" feature?

Thanks Greg - that's re-assuring ! It must just be another "standard" quirky feature then !

S.

Originally posted by Shude
...With engine running it's tick...tock...tick...tock, without key it's tick tock...tick tock...tick tock...
I tried this earlier today and my car is exactly as Nick describes his. I guess you're not alone Sym ;)

S.

Just tried mine. They flash the same speed all the time, so must be post-facelift as Sym said.
I too get the single beep when i turn the engine off with the lights on though.
Maybe we got this on the pre-facelift cars cos you guys with later cars got gizmos we havn't. LOL

(No reference to Gizmo750 was intended in this thread);) ;)

Originally posted by GRAV888
...I too get the single beep when i turn the engine off with the lights on though...
By way of comparison, the post facelift W202's got a warning beep if the lights were left on and the ignition swtiched off or the ignition key removed and as sym said above the driver's door opened. I think the same alarm beep is also used to alert the driver if he/she has left the parking brake activated while attempting to drive over 5 mph (or is it 10mph?).

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Steve_Perry
By way of comparison, the post facelift W202's got a warning beep if the lights were left on and the ignition swtiched off or the ignition key removed and as sym said above the driver's door opened. I think the same alarm beep is also used to alert the driver if he/she has left the parking brake activated while attempting to drive over 5 mph (or is it 10mph?).

S.

I think it's more like 5mph rather than 10mph. ....and, the same alarm is also used if you drive off without the roof fully opened/closed in an SLK.

Originally posted by simonl
I think it's more like 5mph rather than 10mph. ....and, the same alarm is also used if you drive off without the roof fully opened/closed in an SLK.

I think the new SL has to have the parking brake on before the roof can be lowered or raised.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
By way of comparison, the post facelift W202's got a warning beep if the lights were left on and the ignition swtiched off or the ignition key removed and as sym said above the driver's door opened.

I reckon models older than a 202 have this mate, mine does and its a pre-faclift, so did my old '82 Honda Accord EX

Originally posted by BBW
I reckon models older than a 202 have this mate, mine does and its a pre-faclift, so did my old '82 Honda Accord EX
Well now I come to think of it I'm sure my old '86 190E had a buzzer to let you know that the lights had been left on but I was just following on from Grav's comment which gave me the impression that the pre-facelifts were missing out on a feature.
Originally posted by GRAV888
Maybe we got this on the pre-facelift cars cos you guys with later cars got gizmos we havn't. LOL
Incidently the pre-facelifts get gizmos that the post facelifts don't get :rolleyes: *Sigh* I still miss the oil pressure gauge and the economy swingometer from my previous '86 W201 and my dad's W124 has a natty middle 3rd centre sun visor to plug the gap behind the rear view mirror, I just get a shaded bit bonded to the windscreen.

S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom