202 parcel shelf sub-woofers how are they wired?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevesey

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa 156 1.8TS
Anyone know how the parcel shelf sub woofers are wired in a 202?

They are the standard fit items and as the head unit only has the standard 4 outputs I'm assuming they are passive and wired in parallel with the rear door speakers (and have their own crossover).

Reason for asking - was I was thinking about the option of powering them separately, so I can turn the bass down on the other speakers have get a better overall sound (assuming the rear shelf subs can handle more bass if powered separately - if not I'd have to do and AANDDY on them. :D).

I think you're right.....If i adjust the fader to the rear, I get sound from the back doors and rear shelf.....There's a post here somewhere about the powered Kenwood's I'm going to put in mine one day.....

Get out ya jig saw like I did, go on:p.

Personally I don't think they'll handle much more power than from the head unit.

Personally I don't think they'll handle much more power than from the head unit.
Still fitting an amp is a pre-requisite to finding his out and upgrading the speakers. So I'll have to do this bit first anyway.

My theory (see post 11 - still yet to be tested though)...is the head unit drives both the rear shelf and rear doors.

I'm planning to put the Little Kenwoods on the rear shelf, driven by the little kenwood amp, with a feed taken form the Sub-out (or whatever its called) on the alpine head unit, leaving the head unit to drive the fronts and rear doors....

Thanks - useful info from Desilva there on how to remove the parcel shelf speakers.

If you are using the original Audio 10 unit, if you want an immediate improvement, get rid of it. Basically it is rubbish.

Also get rid of the front door speakers and put something better in and that also includes the rear parcel shelf speakers.

Dont worry about the rear door speakers.....they don't do much, and are also rubbish.

When you fit another head unit in, the wiring in the W202 plugs straight in to the head unit....no modification needed. But what you want to do is run a set of phono leads from your new head unit and also extend the amp switching wire to the boot.

Then mount an amp under the parcel shelf, power it directly from the battery in the via a suitable fuse and use the extended switching lead to turn it on and off when the head unit is fired up.. Wire your new rear parcel shelf speakers to the amp and hey presto, sound transformed.

If you also want to better the treble, get some Pioneer tweeters off ebay, usually about £8 for the pair. These have built in crossovers, so replace the rubbish in the dash and also stick a pair in the loads of space under the grill on the parcel shelf.

It really won't cost much to make a massive difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom