202 RUST! Beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
We have done some work on a 202 recently and the sills had a couple of small holes in them. That is nothing unusual but when it was stripped to be repaired it opened up a can of worms.

This just shows one sill behind the side skirt on the OS. The cause it quite likely lack of cleaning in that area and blocked drain holes.

We were so shocked that I am going to remove my skirts on the C43 and give them a good clean up and a healthy covering of Dinitrol.

C43Rust003.jpg

C43Rust002.jpg

C43Rust001-1.jpg

C43Rust004.jpg

Here we go with another model ........... :(

What blocks the drain holes? Is it general road grime thrown up from the roads?

Tree $hite falling down the drain holes.

This type of rust is unusual for a 202. 124's are worse IMO.

Jack's 202 is older than this one and the sills are perfect. This one ^^ has not been washed properly IMO.

Sh*t, it's worse often on the C43 because the skirts are a dirt/ salt trap.

Depressing viewing.

All repairable though. Not the end of the world.

Still, I think my drivers side jacking point is rusty and will need welding. MOT time next week...:eek: Frustrated at Mercedes use of poor quality steel.:mad:

it is weird that not all of them are like this. All of my 202's have been very very solid.

Jacking them up in the wrong place, not washing them properly and blocked drains compound the problem.

took mine off to spray the car, and they were lovely and clean :D i was abit worried it was a rotter but it was a gooden.

Wonder what mines gonna be like when i get the sills off :(

Last edited:
Black55, I liked the Hubble telescope pictures of the Andromeda Galaxy, but where's the rusty 202? :confused:

:D

That is what I was thinking Andy :crazy:

What was the exposed rust like one this one compared to mine? worse? same? better? (dreading your answer).

Wonder what mines gonna be like when i get the sills off :(

Would be interested to know as I think I might have the same prob. And interested to know where to get it fixed and rough costs involved. :thumb:

Would be interested to know as I think I might have the same prob. And interested to know where to get it fixed and rough costs involved. :thumb:

difficult to quote for as until it is stripped and ground back the full extent is unkown. £500 should cover it for both sides. That will include grinding and cutting ALL of the corrosion off, making panels to patch up the holes, rust proofing then sealing and finally Dinitrol or Waxoyl.

Andy: Yours is not as bad.:thumb:

..let me think.....

:doh: Don,t keep me in suspense!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom