202 Suspension Clunk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevesey

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa 156 1.8TS
Hi

My C240 has acquired a suspension clunk since christmas. Occurs at 20-30mph on uneven roads - single bumps/pot holes don't normally set it off. Perception is that the clunk comes from the rear and I was thinking along the line of anti-roll bar bushes. I noticed this morning that taking a speed bump at an angle caused it as the front wheel hit the bump (taken straight they normally don't cause the clunk). Although the front wheel is on the bump I guess the noise could still be the opposite rear corner as that is pushed down when the front comes up.

Jacked the car up at the weekend and couldn't find any play in the wheels (so probably not ball joints - but they can't be ruled out).

Anyone else have any thoughts? Are there any common bush failures on 202s? (Having owned a Vectra it does sound just like one of the many rear end bush failures they suffer with).

Car is under warranty and in for a service this week so it would be good to be able to point then in the right direction rather than get into the change bits and see if it goes away scenario if there is nothing obviously wrong.

Cheers

Steve

P.S Have removed all loose objects from boot etc - just in case it was something moving around in the boot.

Rear shockers.

Remove the boot carpets and sit in the boot while someone drives it over the bumps and listen to the top of the shockers.

I'll give that a try - if I can find someone to sit in the boot!!

When I bought my c class, It had the same. Clunk from the rear sometimes - and only at slow speed.
Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it. They said it was just a loose nut or bolt on the back suspension.:eek: :devil:
Cured the problem.

May be something else but I thought it worth a mention.

Jay

Rear shockers.

Remove the boot carpets and sit in the boot while someone drives it over the bumps and listen to the top of the shockers.
Seems to be it - got around to removing the shock on the offending side this morning, went for a drive, no knocks (had found a sudden twitch to the right would generate a knock, but not anymore). Refitted shock, still no knock! Wonder if top rubbers had moved so there was some body contact, which was sorted by refitting - will have to see what happens over the next few weeks.

For that diagnosis that will be £1000 please.

Sorry I forgot I don't work for a dealer anymore......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom