2020 AMG C43 Dashcam Wiring Advice

Odyseus10

Car
Tbc
Greetings,
I just recently bought a C43 and wanted to fit a Nextbase 512 Dashcam.
I followed a video about connecting it up to the Drivers side fusebox, BUT these are all permanently 12V live. Even using the Nextbase harness (with low battery voltage detector) I kept getting warnings about the battery state of charge.
I looked at the Passenger fuse box and they are all permanently live too.
I then started to take the back seats out in order to feed the dashcam cable through to the rear fuse box but this looks difficult to do. The cable loom disappears at the lower side of the rear seat and appears at the fuse box. I can't see a way of getting a cable through.

I have looked at getting a Power Magic Pro box (from Blackvue) thinking I could connect it to a 12V fuse in the drivers side fusebox. But this appears to need both switched 12V and a permanent 12V supply.

Currently the dashcam is plugged into the USB socket next to the phone charger, but you have to remember to turn the dashcam on before you drive off ( I think it thinks it is connected to a PC, as it give you three options). Clearly this isn't a neat or long term solution.

If I have to buy a different dashcam than so be it so
(1) Are there any dashcams that connect to permanent 12V?
(2) Do you really need a switched 12V for the Power Magic Pro.
(3) is there a way of feeding my existing Nextbase lead through to the rear fuse box?

Many thanks in advance

John

OneForTheRoad

MB Enthusiast
Car
2017 e350 c207 .. +65 ford kuga 2.0 cdi zetec awd..
Can you not get at the light inside the glove box?

OneForTheRoad

MB Enthusiast
Car
2017 e350 c207 .. +65 ford kuga 2.0 cdi zetec awd..
I probably could, but I read that the fuse for this was in the Passenger fuse box, which I have tested as all 12V live ??

I wired my e350 to a permanent live . I have to remember to switch off the cam when I stop to park at work and at home. I guess the only other option is the tab lighter ,but routing the wire will be a mare .

OP
OP
O

Odyseus10

Car
Tbc
I wired my e350 to a permanent live . I have to remember to switch off the cam when I stop to park at work and at home. I guess the only other option is the tab lighter ,but routing the wire will be a mare .

I did that initially but then kept getting text warnings about low battery voltage.
The Nextbase harness low battery protection is set at 11.6V which is quite low IMHO.
I had a look at ThinkwareF800 dashcam, as this is supposed to have a built in battery monitor
BUT it still requires an ACC and BAT connection - its the ACC fuse I can't find in the front fuse boxes.

stubax

Car
GLC250
I have wired my Garmin55 into the fuse box located in the dash behind the instrument cluster, access is via a pop off panel visible when the door is open. Done this on 2 w205's and my current GLC. I found an empty fuse holder that was ignition live and used a flat space connector to push in, I used the supplied cigarette lighter cable with wires soldered to the contacts and then fixed inside the dash. My camera comes on when the ignition is activated and shuts down 1 minute after shutting down the car, works flawlessly, you should find a permanent live there also to piggyback off if you want bump protection. Also very easy to route the cable bend screen trims etc to camera as all you have to do is push the wire behind the trim, no trim removal required.

OP
OP
O

Odyseus10

Car
Tbc
I have wired my Garmin55 into the fuse box located in the dash behind the instrument cluster, access is via a pop off panel visible when the door is open. Done this on 2 w205's and my current GLC. I found an empty fuse holder that was ignition live and used a flat space connector to push in, I used the supplied cigarette lighter cable with wires soldered to the contacts and then fixed inside the dash. My camera comes on when the ignition is activated and shuts down 1 minute after shutting down the car, works flawlessly, you should find a permanent live there also to piggyback off if you want bump protection. Also very easy to route the cable bend screen trims etc to camera as all you have to do is push the wire behind the trim, no trim removal required.
Unfortunately on my C43, ALL fuses in the Driver Side and Passenger Side fuse boxes are all BAT connections (connected to battery) and there are no switched lives. So i hope there is a switched live in the rear fuse box and I can find a way to route the nextbase cable through the backseat into the rear fusebox.

Germgh0st

SUPPORTER
Car
W205 AMG C43
I have the BlackVue front and rear cams with the BlackVue Power Magic Pro box. I had it fited professionally, but it didn't take them long. The box was fitted under the dash on the driver's side, there's a bit of trim on the end of the dash where it meets the door, you can see it with the door open, that pops off and it's tucked in there - I assume it can get all the feeds it needs from that area.

OP
OP
O

Odyseus10

Car
Tbc
Well I have managed to feed the cable through the back seats - I didn't realise that they actually fold down ! I'm so used to hatchbacks and didn't think that you could do that in a saloon. Anyway, I have now fed the nextbase cable from the rear fuse box, to the bottom of the door pillar. It should be easy to feed it up the door pillar trim, along the front side window and across to the camera fitted next to the mirror.

The next thing will be to find a switched 12V in the rear fuse box and hope that the cable is long enough to reach the dashcam - if not then I will have to cut the end off and splice a new one on, thus extending it (It's only usb and so probably just three wires)

OP
OP
O

Odyseus10

Car
Tbc
Well I have managed to feed the cable through the back seats - I didn't realise that they actually fold down ! I'm so used to hatchbacks and didn't think that you could do that in a saloon. Anyway, I have now fed the nextbase cable from the rear fuse box, to the bottom of the door pillar. It should be easy to feed it up the door pillar trim, along the front side window and across to the camera fitted next to the mirror.

The next thing will be to find a switched 12V in the rear fuse box and hope that the cable is long enough to reach the dashcam - if not then I will have to cut the end off and splice a new one on, thus extending it (It's only usb and so probably just three wires)

OP
OP
O

Odyseus10

Car
Tbc
So I had to remove lead and place the Nextbase harness box under the back seat and feed the red and black wires under the fold down seat and through to the rear fuse box.
Originally, the Nextbase harness box was just behind the seat in the boot, under a plastic panel. Moving the control box to under the seat gave me more lead but even doing it this way, I didn't quite have enough lead to reach to the other side of the driving mirror and so had to buy a 9inch extention lead.
I could have placed the control box behind the trim at the base of the rear seat and extended the red and black leads. This way the USB lead would probably have reached without an extension.
The junction of the USB extention lead is in the overhead panel next to the mirror.
I found ONE and only ONE switchable fuse in the rear fuse box, number 458, which is the 12V Supply socket (No idea where that is). So that is the one with the fuse piggy back - see attached photograph.

Attachments

• 20200916_180103.jpg
    20200916_180103.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom