2020 E63S Estate - Selling where / how ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jibbajabba

SUPPORTER
Car
E63S
I wanted to drive this until it falls apart at 150k miles or so - but I think I am changing it up. I got the estate because I wanted to use it as a daily. Now I am considering getting a GT63 instead and a sensible estate for family drives.

Anyway, I am considering dealer, Carwow, WBAC etc. - what are people's thoughts ?

Car got no finance and I am second owner technically (pre-reg by dealer) ....

I will probably(*) add it here as well once I managed to take private plate off and DVLA sends me updated V5 but wondered what people use to sell a car nowadays ...

(*) Probably because I only ever had hassle with private sales

I put my Audi S6 Avant on Motorway.co.uk and my business partner also sold his Golf R on there.

Both cars achieved more than WBAC were offering and it was hassle free.

This was last November when used car prices were at their lunatic peak. It's eased off a bit since then.

I sold on motorway too. When you add your car, they suggest a selling price. I ignored that and put on what I wanted and I actually got more for it. You can always reduce your asking price if the dealers don't start bidding for it but it's worth a try with the current situation. The car shortage wasn't like it is now when I sold. Very simple too. There is no obligation on you to accept the best offer but if you do, the dealer sent his driver to my local train station, (all prearranged obviously, I was happy to collect him). I collected him and he drove my car back to test it which I was happy with, no problem. He then paid for it and the money was in my account before he drove off. I'd do it again if I wasn't offered what I wanted via the part exchange route

I found it a safe way of selling rather than putting it on autotrader and dealing with strangers as I live on my own and didn't fancy any Tom, Dk or Harry coming round

Motorway seems to have taken significant market share as a gateway to a dealer sale. It’s more competitive than WBAC so you’ll get a better price as dealers bid for your business.

But it will cost you an extra 10-15% compared to a private sale. The dealer has to get his margin to cover his costs.

You’re travelling down a familiar route. Even Chris Harris, “off the telly”, has run an E250 as his family car while also owning more exciting things as his personal transport.

I seem to have one problem. PPF. Some places like Cazoo actually refuse to list the car with PPF. Not sure about Motorway. In terms of private sale, I don’t think in this instance it is reasonable be Ayse let’s face it, the car is worth around 60-65k and no (sane) person spends that sort of money from a private person without warranty etc. unless you got the skills to check the car yourself.

no (sane) person spends that sort of money from a private person without warranty etc. unless you got the skills to check the car yourself.

Interesting. That's would a thread in itself. Do our E63 estate owners refuse to buy privately ?

It was a while ago that I sold my last E63 but I actually managed a lower cost to change by part-ex'ing it at a Mercedes main dealer than I could achieve by selling through WBAC et al and paying cash for the replacement. My experience was that non-franchised dealers are in general scared of late(ish) AMG's and tend to make lowball offers, while main dealers know what they're buying in.

I agree that no sane person is likely to be willing to spend £60-65k on a private purchase without a warranty and the B-to-C protections that a trade sale gives, so advertising privately is only likely to lead to a world of pain with dreamers and/or crooks.

I have used motorway selling a Mini cooper and my daughter has just sold a MB through them for over £40 k , hassle free and got a good price , we would both use them again

I used the new autotrader function recently on their App. They come back with a quote (was significantly more than WBAC and Carwow) and someone came out to see it the following day. They actually offered me more than they quoted as they said i was too honest with my assessment. They paid up instantly. Only thing was it was a week before the car was collected which didn't actually bother me and was partly due to my own work commitments.

it all goes through manheim auctions so they pretty much pick the cars up and then they go through the auction not long after.

that said, the car i sold was significantly cheaper then a 2020 E63s so not sure how that would work out. What I would say is that I'd definitely use the service again though.

It was a while ago that I sold my last E63 but I actually managed a lower cost to change by part-ex'ing it at a Mercedes main dealer than I could achieve by selling through WBAC et al and paying cash for the replacement. My experience was that non-franchised dealers are in general scared of late(ish) AMG's and tend to make lowball offers, while main dealers know what they're buying in.

I agree that no sane person is likely to be willing to spend £60-65k on a private purchase without a warranty and the B-to-C protections that a trade sale gives, so advertising privately is only likely to lead to a world of pain with dreamers and/or crooks.

^ This, we sold both our Taycans back to an OPC despite having private buyers wanting to buy direct. I really had no interest in a private transaction to nick another couple of thousand simply due to the risk on a tansaction of that size.

The dealer collected them, later that day money was in our account. No stress.

I'm also never buying anything of any great value privately, it's just not worth the risk.

^ This, we sold both our Taycans back to an OPC despite having private buyers wanting to buy direct. I really had no interest in a private transaction to nick another couple of thousand simply due to the risk on a tansaction of that size.

The dealer collected them, later that day money was in our account. No stress.

I'm also never buying anything of any great value privately, it's just not worth the risk.
I agree with Red, too dangerous selling a car privately these days, especially anything of significant value. As Red said it isn't worth the risk being beaten, stabbed or worse for a couple of grand. I would sell privately to a forum member if they had a good "post" history

kc

..............said it isn't worth the risk being beaten, stabbed or worse for a couple of grand....................
Blimey......what kind of area do you live in? That would never even occur to me!!!
You are lucky if it little bit of extra hassle is not worth 2 grand to you....it is to me!! Never has an issue....its either instant bank transfer of a cheque of some sort....if its the latter the car stays with me until its fully cleared. Same when I buy....which is usually privately. That way you don't pay the dealers margin so it should be cheaper.,....(I certainly wont buy from a private seller charging dealer prices when they can offer not dealer backup or warranty....the only reason for going to a dealer!). Also you get the advantage of meeting the owner of the car and where the car lives....which can give some massive clues on how the car was stored and cared for.......unlike the dealer where every car was "looked after with no expense spared and owner by a vicar!!". Obviously if you are not mechanically savvy and have no fault code software on your ;laptop or phone etc to check the car properly then you might want to be using a dealer.....

.....Which reminds me of a brief story when I was selling new VW and Audi for a living. I had two mint Golfs on the forecourt and was talking to a punter about one of them...I told him that it had been owned by a Vicar (true) and I have taken it in PX (also true)....then they asked about the one next to it....I hadn't done the deal on that one so had to get the paperwork and look it up.......only to find that had also been owned by a Vicar.....the customer point blank refused to believe me until I produced the owners docs!!...He bought them both for him and his daughter!!!

Try 'We Buy Supercars'-they have sold two of my last Audi RS' and have been brilliant. They have access to over 800 dealers and will haggle hard to get the right price. I would also advise to be completely transparent about the cars history, condition and any 'quirks'. They will dig quite deep and lots of horror stories out there. I saw a post on their feed recently showing a very nice looking Porsche that was being sold, and it turned out the owner hadn't told them about the fact it was in a very serious accident and was repaired. Cue photos that they found of it all smashed up in a workshop somewhere. No Sale......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom