2020 GLC with no 4 cylinder petrol at launch ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tangey

Car
GLC250D
New Mercedes GLC is now available to order, priced from £39,420

They are launching the new model with 2 diesel variants 220d and 300d, but no petrol variants ? That's a hell of a launch strategy given the current environment. No word of 43/63 variants at launch (probably trying to get rid of old stock), but I'm seriously underwhelmed that there is no launch 4 cylinder petrol option, and no timeframe for one in the PR stuff that is doing the rounds.

In fact according to autoexpress
Further down the line, a plug-in hybrid GLC will go on sale, but options available to other markets, including less powerful petrol and diesel, plus a fuel cell PHEV which mixes hydrogen and battery power, will not come to the UK.
New 2019 Mercedes GLC: pricing, specs and pics

No regular petrol engine at ALL for the UK market ?

Unless the marketing is incorrect, it's just made me not consider the new GLC to replace my 3.5 year old one. I'd suggest there are a shedload of people with a 3+ year old car that have petrol as a prime requirement for a replacement.

Last edited:
I agree. Given the current movement away from diesel, that does look rather short-sighted.

In the SUV space I doubt the percentage of petrol even with the current situation is very large at all (probably not even out of single figures for the smaller 4 pot). So launching first with Diesel isn't really a surprise at all. You will then only be seeing hybrids coming to market in the UK at some point.

Not really surprised by this at all. Hybrid petrols will come to the UK, but after the diesel.

<oops> I didn't read the autoexpress article fully
later this year the petrol-powered GLC 300 will join the range too, with 258 bhp...
Still, the the subject is accurate, and my initial premise remains, not having a petrol option for the launch of a face-lift car in 2020 isn't sensible. And MB has a history of pushing extra variants futher back when it comes to GLC. When the original GLC launched, a PHEV was mentioned as arriving within 12 months.

It looks the same as the old one! Is it a facelift or a new car completely? And if so.....will it crab?!

Regarding crabbing, I do kinda remember reading somewhere that there had been a redesign of the joints or some such...

Regarding crabbing, I do kinda remember reading somewhere that there had been a redesign of the joints or some such...

New design of Front suspension upright to alter Caster angle. MB did the same thing when the first GLC was introduced to the UK 2 diesels only-its predecessor the GLK Model was never made in RHD at all. Its moot whether this comes from MB Germany or MB UK but presumably is based on projected sales and the possible profit margins on certain engined models???

New design of Front suspension upright to alter Caster angle. MB did the same thing when the first GLC was introduced to the UK 2 diesels only-its predecessor the GLK Model was never made in RHD at all. Its moot whether this comes from MB Germany or MB UK but presumably is based on projected sales and the possible profit margins on certain engined models???
The love affair with diesel engine cars in the UK was still in full force in 2015 when the 1st GLC was launched, which can hardly be said to be the case in 2019. I assumed that they may not be able to ramp up petrol engine productions as quickly as they would like, and as the US doesn't have a domestic diesel market, they get priority of petrol production.

Clearly, MB is trying to vastly reduce the number of options available, but nevertheless the online configurator shows some weird decisions in the new GLC line-up.

Making it tough for me to keep with merc this time around. My GLC250D premium spec-ed with air suspension had a list price around £42K when I bought it end of 2015.
List price of the nearest equivalent in the new range is £55K. I'll be holding out to see what the non 63 petrol engine options are like, but can't see that changing things significantly.

If you want a tow-bar, it's the bottom range 220d sport only...and that is the ONLY option that is available on that particular car, no premium, no premium plus, No car play option, no overlaying of the satnav on live camera, no ILS option. You can pick a tow bar, pick a no-cost colour option for the interior, and of course pick a car colour...that's it.

Every other GLC is an "AMG line".

Want a GLC with a panoramic sunroof ?, that'll be £51K. It's been moved from the premium list to the premium plus list, which is only available as an option on the GLC300D and above.
Want a GLC with Air suspension ?, that'll be £55K. It now solely part of a "premium ultimate" package, again only available on the 300D and above.

Clearly, MB is trying to vastly reduce the number of options available, but nevertheless the online configurator shows some weird decisions in the new GLC line-up.

Making it tough for me to keep with merc this time around. My GLC250D premium spec-ed with air suspension had a list price around £42K when I bought it end of 2015.
List price of the nearest equivalent in the new range is £55K. I'll be holding out to see what the non 63 petrol engine options are like, but can't see that changing things significantly.

If you want a tow-bar, it's the bottom range 220d sport only...and that is the ONLY option that is available on that particular car, no premium, no premium plus, No car play option, no overlaying of the satnav on live camera, no ILS option. You can pick a tow bar, pick a no-cost colour option for the interior, and of course pick a car colour...that's it.

Every other GLC is an "AMG line".

Want a GLC with a panoramic sunroof ?, that'll be £51K. It's been moved from the premium list to the premium plus list, which is only available as an option on the GLC300D and above.
Want a GLC with Air suspension ?, that'll be £55K. It now solely part of a "premium ultimate" package, again only available on the 300D and above.
Buying a car (term used loosely) is becoming more like buying a mobile phone.

As above, pricing is mad. So to get Air Suspension you now have to get the Premium Plus ultimate pack at a whopping £11,250 - 4K more than Premium Plus which is why my current GLC has. The 6 cylinder Diesel GLC350 isn't on there (and its that's or a GLC43 that I was going to change my GLC250 PP with basically all options) for when it goes back on 1st September (as its residual is much more than its trade value).

The facelift has full LED multi beam headlights and NTG6 Audio/Nav system and some other updated electronics.

Apparently a GLC53 is coming (I think the facelift training video said that ..)

At least that's made the decision for me, i.e I'll buy a 1 year old used one - I expect the facelift will reduce resale values of the non facelift although I don't really know..

Cheers
R

List price of the nearest equivalent in the new range is £55K.

It's reckoned GLB is going to be £39K (which seems huge, but it has a lot of tech) so GLC is going to have to be a step up in price.

Both 2 litre petrol variants are out later this month. They’re simply adding additional engines to the brochure as they go through emission testing. Panic over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above, pricing is mad. So to get Air Suspension you now have to get the Premium Plus ultimate pack at a whopping £11,250 - 4K more than Premium Plus which is why my current GLC has. The 6 cylinder Diesel GLC350 isn't on there (and its that's or a GLC43 that I was going to change my GLC250 PP with basically all options) for when it goes back on 1st September (as its residual is much more than its trade value).

The facelift has full LED multi beam headlights and NTG6 Audio/Nav system and some other updated electronics.

Apparently a GLC53 is coming (I think the facelift training video said that ..)

At least that's made the decision for me, i.e I'll buy a 1 year old used one - I expect the facelift will reduce resale values of the non facelift although I don't really know..

Cheers
R

The price rise is clearly intentional. GLC Urban used to start at 35k and the new sport is just under 40. It allows space for the GLB, which will start around the 30k mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom