2021 AMG 400D - Really Hard Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swarwi75

Car
400D AMG Premimum
Hi,

We have a 2021 AMG and the ride seems so hard! - its running on the standard michillen MO 22inch , in the back it bounces you and skips from left to right. we took it to the dealers who said they have heard about this and a change of tyre brand might help?

has anybody had any sucess in smooting out the ride of one if these cars, it does everything so well but the ride is way to hard.

thanks in advance

I have just confirmed they are run flat tyres, and pirelli P-z

Welcome :)

You might get a bit of stick on here for calling your car an AMG, as AMG don't make diesel engines (well, they made one a long time ago) and it's the engine that makes a car an AMG. I get similar stick as I have an AMG C43 but it's a mass produced engine which AMG fettle with, not a 'one man one engine' with the engine builder badge on it. Anyhow, doesn't bother me and shouldn't bother you, but for clarity what you have is a W205 C400D with some AMG parts bolted on. When asking for help on here that would be a more helpful description :)

By the sounds of it one of those AMG parts could be the suspension - do you have the button on the centre console that can change the ride?

22" wheels won't be helping, very little in the way of rubber between you and the road to cushion the ride - particularly if they're run flat tyres which have an even stiffer sidewall. Swapping runflats for normal tyres and a softer tyre compound may help. The ride in mine can get a little crashy and I only have 19" wheels with runflats, I can't imagine what 22" wheels are like.

22 inch wheels 😳

Run flats won't be helping. Horrible tyres those runflats. I would imagine 22's with Run Flats would be like driving a steam roller.

I mean non rft tyres will certainly help to an extent but if comfort is your goal maybe a set of 19/20" wheels would be more your thing

What kind of mercedes is it a GLC?

22 inch wheels 😳

What kind of mercedes is it a GLC?
I was struggling to think of a C class that would have 22" wheels, and that would be it then, so not a W205 as I first presumed.

22 inch wheels , runflats AND possibly 'AMG tuned' suspension components (lowered via shorter stiffer springs) ? . I think it might always have a harsh ride if left in that configuration . :confused:

Bouncing and skipping sounds like there’s something wrong to me. Run fat tyres on a 22 inch wheel will result in a stiffer ride than that a 19 inch wheel on regular tyres but it shouldn’t skip.

I assume it’s a GLE? Does it have Airmatic air suspension?

22 inch wheels , runflats AND possibly 'AMG tuned' suspension components (lowered via shorter stiffer springs) ? . I think it might always have a harsh ride if left in that configuration . :confused:

This is the logical end point of bigger cars, bigger wheels and stiffer springs.
Difficult for anything to ride well setup like that.

My 12 year old E class is on 18’s with air springs and can be brittle over crappy surfaces.

As others have said it is the size of the wheel + rubber band style tyre + runflat (stiff sidewall) - maybe OK on a super smooth german autobahn but not on most of our roads. You only need to stand back and look at the car side on to realise that comfort will not be its primary feature.
You will make it a bit better by ditching the run flat tyres but the real answer is smaller wheels and non run flats. Look in the handbook to see what the smallest wheel option for your model is - maybe shown as the winter tyre size.

Everyone fails to mention overall wheel weight that is the main reason for poor ride quality , because the dampers will be compromised beyond their limits ( increased unsprung mass ).

But that's OK , then it's sidewall , compounded by them being rock hard and heavier run flats .

Choose the smallest manufacturer recommended wheel tyre combo with non run flats for a big night and day improvement .

Big wheels = big woes and ruin any cars dynamics for the sake of fashion .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom