2022 Mercedes SL (Spyshots)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m liking the look of that. Fabric hood too and not the heavy clunky hard top that folds. Gets my vote.

Well it's definitely off SWMBO's list.

The reason I'm on this forum is that SWMBO likes convertibles and hates fabric tops - so ended up with a R170 SLK 16 years ago which led to me getting a MB a year later.

There is a video on Youtube talking about the 2022 SL. So it can't be that far off being announced.
I went along to MB Brooklands to find out if they had any information as to when it might be launched. They said they had no information. Would be nice to know, the spy shots and information have been circulating for over a year it seems.
The interior looks very nice to me...would like to see it in person sometime.

If anyone has any info would be great to share...

Not as nice as an AMG GT Roadster IMO. Why bother with a 2+2 that no one with legs can sit in!

I tried the AMG GT Roadster - the cabin seemed small to me, and the tech on the new SL looks great. I think the AMG Roadster is more of a sports car whereas this might be more of a GT car....will be interesting to see how it turns out. but you are right - I am not sure how useful the rear seats will be.

New video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I do like the proportions, though the back end just looks a bit too similar to Porsches efforts. It's very innocuous looking. Nothing horrible, but equally nothing jaw dropping. Maybe, if they only sold it in a classic Mercedes flat aluminium silver they could trade on the "...very functional, efficient German aesthetic"? I am actually serious, i think that could work - it's those qualities that drew me to my E. Im just not sure functional and efficient sit that well with a rag top sports car. In the same vein i guess Lamborghini go to the other extreme.

Beautiful car but IMO not reminiscent of a SL Looks like another wind tunnel clone. They should have ended the SL line and called it something else.

Unfortunately, the hard top restricts the designers so (the roof needs the boot space) so now a soft top.

Beautiful car but IMO not reminiscent of a SL Looks like another wind tunnel clone. They should have ended the SL line and called it something else.

Unfortunately, the hard top restricts the designers so (the roof needs the boot space) so now a soft top.
It’s the next generation of SL, and so Mercedes-Benz is reinventing it for the next period, to make sure it remains relevant for it’s target market and customers.

The SL has done it several times before, every other generation is a revolution, with the ones in between being more of an evolution …iPhone style!

The W113 was a really big change from the W198, and then the R129 was a big change from the R107, and finally the R230 was a big change from the R129.

The R129 was perhaps the anomaly as there was no evolutionary successor, I suspect that it skipped that in an an attempt to reduce cost of manufacture.

It’s the next generation of SL, and so Mercedes-Benz is reinventing it for the next period, to make sure it remains relevant for it’s target market and customers.

The SL has done it several times before, every other generation is a revolution, with the ones in between being more of an evolution …iPhone style!

The W113 was a really big change from the W198, and then the R129 was a big change from the R107, and finally the R230 was a big change from the R129.

The R129 was perhaps the anomaly as there was no evolutionary successor, I suspect that it skipped that in an an attempt to reduce cost of manufacture.
Mercedes effectively consolidated the W198 and W121 to create the W113, effectively combining their “super sports car” with their “cruiser”, to create a car which was positioned between the two.

Mercedes are doing that again by consolidating the R190 (GT Roadster) and R231, to create a car which is more intense and driver focused than the R231 but not as hardcore as the R190.

The other change is still to come, the forthcoming hybrid power train will make the new SL ferociously quick despite the increased focus upon luxury and comfort. I can’t wait to see and 800 PS SL!

Pricing will be interesting....
I’ve heard it suggested from a reliable source that it will be north of £150k. I didn’t ask whether that would be the 55 or 63, but if that’s the 55 then that must put the future ePerformance model at £200k+ 😳

mercedes-benz-sl-new-spy-photo-front-three-quarters.jpg

mercedes-benz-sl-new-spy-photo-front-three-quarters.jpg

mercedes-benz-sl-new-spy-photo-front.jpg

mercedes-benz-sl-new-spy-photo-rear.jpg

mercedes-benz-sl-new-spy-photo-side-profile.jpg
does this look a bit like a TVR Cerbera or is it just my eyesight?

I'm not a big fan of fabric roofs so the R231 did it for me simply becuase of the metal roof. For me it's the best of both worlds.

Once the AMG GT range was introduced it was always going to be stepping on the toe of AMG SL models so it makes sense that they consolidate. The problem MB have at the price point it lack of customisation.

If you're entering the £150K or even £200K plus market you're competing with Aston Martin, Bentley, Porsche and even Ferrari. It's like trying to sell a Made to Measure suit at Bespoke suit pricing. You're starting on the back foot.

They've done this before with the 65AMG range. Look how few of those sold.

I’m liking the look of that. Fabric hood too and not the heavy clunky hard top that folds. Gets my vote.
I agree .my R129 looks best and is lighter with it sfabric roof, however the fully automatic up and down fabric roof function is complex and often problematic on theR129 SL . maybe merc will sort this out this time! ? or will it go Old School and be Manual even lighter.

I agree .my R129 looks best and is lighter with it sfabric roof, however the fully automatic up and down fabric roof function is complex and often problematic on theR129 SL . maybe merc will sort this out this time! ? or will it go Old School and be Manual even lighter.
My CLK has a fully automated fabric hood and generally they have proven reliable. I’ve never had an issue and the web isn’t riddled with horror stories. Hopefully the new SL will leverage off the proven technology from the latest E class cab and earlier CLK.

I’ve heard it suggested from a reliable source that it will be north of £150k. I didn’t ask whether that would be the 55 or 63, but if that’s the 55 then that must put the future ePerformance model at £200k+ 😳
This is definitely not the case, a starting price of 150k would certainly not be competitive

Initially in the UK it’ll be available as a limited edition 55 model, then the 43 will follow that. 63, normal 55 and 63e will come later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom