203 Coupe Rear Brake replacement help request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350_Coupe

Car
2005 C350 Coupe SE
Just picked up some replacement rear discs and pads for my coupe from the classifieds here (thank you @dokalj :))

If I remember correctly there's a correct sequence or method for installing these and setting up/adjusting the handbrake which consists of brake shoes inside the rear disc hub, like a drum brake. I've done a little digging, and it seems the instructions actually have a part number! A 203 005 25 99

so does anyone have a copy they could scan/photo, or perhaps one of you more knowledgeable guys could reply with a quick step buy step list. (before anyone says best have a rebuild kit handy, the backing plates, shoes, springs and retaining pins were all replaced May last year, so hopefully they'll be no problem)

Cheers.

It is a fiddly job TBH. I used a Youtube guide which helped but the basics are:

Rotate the disc until you can see the toothed sprocket on each side through a wheel stud hole and wind them out with a flat bladed screwdriver enough to remove the discs.
Hand brake off obviously ;)

Refitting is then just a case of winding them in until then just bite then slacken off a touch.

don't have to do anything with the adjuster under the rear seat ?

thx btw, for some reason i always forget youtube :rolleyes:

You shouldn’t have to. With the handbrake off, the pads should be in the fully retracted position and the only issue is normally if there is a lip on the drum which requires the sprockets winding back.

The adjuster under the seat is to take up any stretch in the cable. Adjust the brake itself as above and if, when the shoes are correctly set, the pedal goes down too far (say more than four or five clicks) adjust the cable under the seat.

ah ok, i wasn't sure if i had to slacken that off first, then readjust it after both sides has been set.

appreciate the help guys

You're welcome 350_Coupe ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom