204 @212 reliability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shorty

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 , Ducati 999 , mr2
Hi all, I havent posted here in a very long time.
I considering returning to Merc ownership and would be buying either a 204 or 212 4 pot diesel. How reliable are these later Mercs?
Thanks
Steve

Not long traded in my w204 c220 diesel had it almost 5 years I did 30k total mileage was 55k had new brakes before I took delivery of it

I didn’t have any issues whatsoever only replaced tyres and wipers !! Did make it was fully serviced though

986b5785b0948f2145f1d74a603329cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 pot diesel.

The OM651 suffers from stretched timing chains, leaking plastic water pumps, cracked plastic oil sumps, leaking injectors etc. HOWEVER, these engines are used as chauffeurs/cabs and can hit 300k+ easily if maintained well.

I bought an E250 W212 recently, it’s been lovely to drive and returns excellent MPG :thumb:;)

I’m having all injectors resealed, new injector leak off pipe, a new waterpump, rocker cover gasket replaced, all brakes all round and the transmission mounting replaced!! That’ll solve nearly all the common issues and I hope to have many thousands of miles of happy motoring. It’s not too expensive either parts are relatively cheap.

Make sure to get the 250 rather than the 220, it’s more powerful and the mpg is almost identical.

My W204 facelift (petrol) suffered from knocking from the front suspension at 30k miles, which required replacing some suspension components. I am told this is a common issue.

Other than that I had no issues with it in the two years since I bought it :thumb:

I keep repeating this but my 2011 E220 is now on 307k miles with just a rear shock rubber mount with a slight knock at 80k miles and a water pump at 230k miles.

Other than that routine servicing. Just went through another MOT with no advisories, but finally had to replace the original rear brake discs, they only lasted 305k miles.

Doesn't burn oil and will still do 50+ mpg on a run. No rattles, no creaks, no groans, just a small area of cracked leather on the front armrest where my bony elbow has been resting for 307k miles.

Thanks for the replys,
Some very helpful information there.
I guss if there looked after then I should be ok , but would it be wise to replace the timing chain if I buy one.
What would be the expected cost of replacing the chain, can the engine be left in the car or is it an engine out job.

I keep repeating this but my 2011 E220 is now on 307k miles with just a rear shock rubber mount with a slight knock at 80k miles and a water pump at 230k miles.

Other than that routine servicing. Just went through another MOT with no advisories, but finally had to replace the original rear brake discs, they only lasted 305k miles.

Doesn't burn oil and will still do 50+ mpg on a run. No rattles, no creaks, no groans, just a small area of cracked leather on the front armrest where my bony elbow has been resting for 307k miles.

Glad to hear this pal, I am going to get the few issues on my 09 E250 sorted and hopefully enjoy it for another 100k+. It’s on 152k at the mo and needs the waterpump, rear discs and a few other bits done :)

Most of mine up to 285k miles was motorway driving, hence the light use of brakes.

Most of mine up to 285k miles was motorway driving, hence the light use of brakes.

Yeah well I only just got this car but I do mainly all motorway driving too so hopefully once it’s all sorted I won’t need to do much maintenance for a while! Apart from standard servicing of course!

I’m also glad I got the 5 speed box as apparently it’s more reliable!

Yeah well I only just got this car but I do mainly all motorway driving too so hopefully once it’s all sorted I won’t need to do much maintenance for a while! Apart from standard servicing of course!

I’m also glad I got the 5 speed box as apparently it’s more reliable!

5g box in mine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom