204 C63 brake pad retaining pins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TTManUK

Car
C63 AMG
Hi gents - just had to cut through my rear caliper retaining pins as they were completely seized on, are there aftermarket options or is this a dealer only part? They want £65 for 4 pins, extortionate for what they are, particularly when the design means that they will inevitably seize again in time. Thanks

Unfortunately brake parts do not have what I need - however I had ordered from Edinburgh Mercedes through eBay this morning, for 30% less than quoted by my local dealers. So gold star for Edinburgh. Still £45 for 4 pins delivered, but better than £65!

TTMan UK Good news there .And dealers like Edinburgh Mercedes are very good i have them in my favorite sellers list , along with Mercedes Benz of Newcastle i have had a fair few items from them both ..By the way are these the pins you knock in with a type of locking barrel shape on the end ?..

Here is a link to the same pin apparently used on an R230 SL

The issue is that the expanding dowel bit that sits in the caliper body is made of steel, the caliper is made of alloy = corrosion welded them together. No amount of force was moving them, and I battered my caliper up a bit trying to knock them out with various punches before I ended up cutting them. Very frustrating to have literally the very first step of a brake change end up taking half a day! Glad to say I now have shiny new handbrake shoes, disks and pads (and H&R springs) fitted, just need the retaining pins to come through the post and I will be back on the road :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_113640.jpg
    IMG_20220114_113640.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220114_135508.jpg
    IMG_20220114_135508.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 14
Thats the pins i had in mind they have a split barrel on the one end , do put them in with a little copper grease on the pins but not on the locking split shaped barrel part its thats what holds them in .

Thats also the part that seizes together with the caliper, so I thought it would be prudent to lubricate that part with some anti seize

Here is a link to the same pin apparently used on an R230 SL

The issue is that the expanding dowel bit that sits in the caliper body is made of steel, the caliper is made of alloy = corrosion welded them together. No amount of force was moving them, and I battered my caliper up a bit trying to knock them out with various punches before I ended up cutting them. Very frustrating to have literally the very first step of a brake change end up taking half a day! Glad to say I now have shiny new handbrake shoes, disks and pads (and H&R springs) fitted, just need the retaining pins to come through the post and I will be back on the road :thumb:
For what it’s worth the MB pins will probably come in a Brembo packet with the MB label on top - if you have the Brembo part numbers you can cut MB out of the loop.

Out of interest what was up with the parking brake shoes? I’ve only ever replaced them on one MB many years ago (an older estate car with 200k+ miles and a stuck cable that had dragged the shoes on one side). They don’t usually wear at all? :)

There was nothing wrong with them, I just thought I'd do them since I had everything off to do disks and pads and the kit cost less than £50. Car has 135k miles so had a bit of wear, but there was quite a lot left on the shoes still

The Mercedes pins do come in a Brembo packet, but the number on the packet is not specific for the pins enclosed. It covers many different sized pins.
You search for the number and it covers many pin variations.

Hi there I have stuck brake pins on passenger side....how did you get the stuck pins out after cutting them?

Hi there I have stuck brake pins on passenger side....how did you get the stuck pins out after cutting them?
Cut through the pins with a small disc on a dremel or similar. You can then use a drift to punch out the remaining bits. They’ll come out easier like this. Ignore the previous comments, you can liberally lubricate the split olive with copaslip and it’ll come out next time. The spring of the olive will keep it in place - lubricant will not mean it can slip out, trust me on that!

The top pin has actually bent with the amount of force in trying to get them out!
So just cut the pins right up close to the back end of the caliper and the back bit should come out with a drift/punch?
Thanks for your assistance

The top pin has actually bent with the amount of force in trying to get them out!
So just cut the pins right up close to the back end of the caliper and the back bit should come out with a drift/punch?
Thanks for your assistance
Yep, as close as you can without touching the casting of the caliper

When you’ve struggled and had to buy Dremmel and new pins, you’ll put plenty of anti seize on the new ones.
#oncebitten

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom