205 C63 Handling Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gruffalo

Car
C63 Coupé
Hi,

Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. My car generally drives ok but there's one aspect that really does not feel right. When I take a sweeping corner at moderate speed, e.g. long curve joining a motorway, I turn the steering wheel and the car initially points fine, but midway in the bend, there's a feeling of slight oversteer creeping in and the front end starts to feel slightly light. This makes me correct the steering angle and back off the throttle to correct. Checked tyre condition and pressures and all seems fine. My previous 204 C63 and last CLS did not feel like this on the same bends, they just swept round with no adverse feeling to the car. I can only think it's either something to do with front tyre sidewalls or the electric power steering doing something odd. Could possibly be suspension but the car doesn't seem to show any other issues there. Any suggestions before I go to the dealer for a pointless discussion ?

Hmm, just thinking a bit more about this, it's worst in Comfort mode and slightly better in Sport. Does anyone know if the suspension setting also changes steering assistance ? Weight feels similar but with this electric assistance, it's difficult to tell what else is going on.

Tyre pressures ?

Hmm, just thinking a bit more about this, it's worst in Comfort mode and slightly better in Sport. Does anyone know if the suspension setting also changes steering assistance ? Weight feels similar but with this electric assistance, it's difficult to tell what else is going on.

Yes it has the AMG 3 stage speed sensitive sports steering, which changes with the agility mode selected.

What tyres are you using? I have just removed my 285 / 30 / 20 Rear Conti sports 5s and put on Mpss 295 /30 /20 Rear and found the grip much improved, Certainly none of the problems you are having.

So tyre pressures and condition are fine. It has Conti Sports 5's which I'm really not a fan, but they've still got 6mm of tread and will be going for some Michelin's as soon as I can. Dealer was very receptive to the issue. So far we think it relates to the electric power assistance of the steering in Comfort mode. The issue is less noticeable, although slightly there still, in Sports and Sports+. So the car is booked in next week for a once over and the dealer is checking with MB/AMG to see if the issue has been raised before.

Could it be the stability/traction control working and upsetting the balance based on the suspension setting?
The management dynamically interfaces with the throttle, brakes etc,

Yeah, really think this is to do with the EPS. Maybe the input torque sensors and how they are setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom