208 wheels on a 209?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gadgetmaster

Car
E220 W211, CLK 240 W209, MG Midget, Skoda Yeti (when my wife lets me borrow it)
Hi peeps,
Just been offered a set of wheels, part number 2084010702, fitted with fitted with 205/55/16 tyres for a great price. I have a late 2003 CLK W209, currently with offset rubber (205/55/16 225/50/16). Can anyone confirm my thoughts that these wheels should be a straight swap, allowing me the winter to renovate my original wheels?
Cheers muchly

Didnt the bolt holes go from m12 to m14 w208 to 209 i cant remember?

Didnt the bolt holes go from m12 to m14 w208 to 209 i cant remember?

I do hope not...can anyone confirm either way?

^ Didn't think of the bolt sizes:(
I really don't know about the W208 bolts.
There is no info on that wheel site either.

If you scroll to the bottom of the link in post# 2 above, it does say the wheels will fit a 209 so I would assume both have the same diameter bolt?

Edit.......should have read more carefully. Unsure now.

"These 16" Mercedes Mirzam Wheels are also available to fit the Mercedes models listed below.

Click a link to configure and buy:"

Last edited:
i honestly dont know but i did think the earlier cars had m12 bolts

Well I do love a bit of research

CLK alloy wheel bolts are 'Spherical Collar Bolts, M12x1.5x40', part no A000 990 48 07.

The shorter ones used to mount the skinny steel spare are M12x1.5x21 and come in a set A203 580 00 10.

CLK alloy wheel bolts are 'Spherical Collar Bolts, M12x1.5x40', part no A000 990 48 07.

The shorter ones used to mount the skinny steel spare are M12x1.5x21 and come in a set A203 580 00 10.

Thanks Codger49, I also found reference to this on wheel-sizes.com which indicates that all CLK variance use the same M12 1.5 bolts, as you state. Things are looking up, and I have now agreed to purchase. May just drop a quick line to my local Merc indy and main dealer to be absolutely certain, but reckon that I will be fitting my new wheels at the weekend :)

Both 208 and 209 have the same bolts and similar offsets. The only thing you have to watch out for on the 209 is the "fat" calipers . My 209 came with 208 wheels on it which "should" have fit no problem but actually required 10mm spacers to clear the calipers due to the shape of the rear of the face of the wheel.

Both 208 and 209 have the same bolts and similar offsets. The only thing you have to watch out for on the 209 is the "fat" calipers . My 209 came with 208 wheels on it which "should" have fit no problem but actually required 10mm spacers to clear the calipers due to the shape of the rear of the face of the wheel.

Worth knowing, thank you.

Well, official response now received from the technicians at my local Merc main dealer. Initial thoughts were that there should be no problem, but then they had a rethink, and decided that the front should be fine, but the rear may foul due to being a narrower wheel than original. I did mention spacers, which the helpful chap said should solve things, if needed, but they cannot be supplied by Mercedes. So my next question is, can anyone recommend a reasonable supplier of decent quality spacers, and is there general agreement that the 10 mm spacers as mentioned previously would be the optimum size to go for?

So, update on my progress. I decided to keep the CLK standard, but did swap the rear rubber over, as my car came with cheap rubbish, rears below 3mm, whereas the replacements had Pirelli with 6mm plus. Looks like I will be hitting eBay to get rid of the 208 wheels soon - shame, as I liked the style

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom