209 CLK / 211 E Class Auto-Dipping Mirror Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
My 2008MY (A209) CLK has an auto-dimming wing mirror on the driver’s side

I’ve just noticed that the driver’s side mirror is permanently dipped – it has that yellowish / green tinge during the day.

Any idea what might be causing this? It’s no biggie, but if it is a simple fix, I’d like to get it sorted. I also had something in my mind telling me that MOT testers can fail them on this too, although it’s pretty subtle and I’m not really sure anyone would ever notice under normal circumstances. The mirror is not damaged or cracked nor has it been knocked – it has just adopted the yellow / green tinge permanently. I don’t drive the car much but I’m 99.999% sure it never used to have this tinge to it. I’m sure that in day time it always looked the same as the passenger mirror (which does not have the dipping glass fitted).

Anyone got any ideas? I wondered if there might be a simple connector behind the mirror that I could check (maybe it has come loose) or perhaps there is a simple fuse check?

Any advice gratefully received. I imagine that it has the same tech fitted as the 211 E-Class so if any E-Class owners can help, that would be great too.

Ed

because auto dimming fluid between mirror layers has failed, dimming featrure usually breaks like that. New OEM mirror is /&%%&¤ expensive, chinese does not do dimming ones (at least I didn't find cheapo for my W220)

Thank you guys! That’s very helpful. eBay it is as I ain’t paying hundreds for a brand new part!

I’ll get my Indy to fit it at the next service as knowing me I’ll balls it up if I try. Thanks again!

My 2008MY (A209) CLK has an auto-dimming wing mirror on the driver’s side

I’ve just noticed that the driver’s side mirror is permanently dipped – it has that yellowish / green tinge during the day.

Any idea what might be causing this? It’s no biggie, but if it is a simple fix, I’d like to get it sorted. I also had something in my mind telling me that MOT testers can fail them on this too, although it’s pretty subtle and I’m not really sure anyone would ever notice under normal circumstances. The mirror is not damaged or cracked nor has it been knocked – it has just adopted the yellow / green tinge permanently. I don’t drive the car much but I’m 99.999% sure it never used to have this tinge to it. I’m sure that in day time it always looked the same as the passenger mirror (which does not have the dipping glass fitted).

Anyone got any ideas? I wondered if there might be a simple connector behind the mirror that I could check (maybe it has come loose) or perhaps there is a simple fuse check?

Any advice gratefully received. I imagine that it has the same tech fitted as the 211 E-Class so if any E-Class owners can help, that would be great too.

Ed
Hi have you fitted a dash cam next to your internal mirror by any chance?, when i fitted one next to my internal mirror it had the same effect , I had to move it so the auto dimming would work.

I don’t have a dash cam, but thank you for your suggestion! I think it’s just broken!!

You could try getting a used one from Dronsfields
Or Mercman.
(Sorry if this is not allowed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom