209cdi white smoke and coolant leaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brinnat

Car
Range rover supercharged
Hi I got myself a 2008 209cdi sprinter last night,an updated from my little 208. But today started with coolant light on so topped it up, and then some white smoke on idle but cleared when driving stop start as I do courier work. Then again coolant light back on but it's not leaking from anywhere that I can see.no wet patches on the ground. I checked the oil and water are not mixing the heating in the cab works fine no warning lights on the dash no power loss. Just on idle it starts to smoke (white) reading online it's pointing to head gasket failing any advise would be great.

Thanks
Brian

White Smoke -- Head Gasket, Head or Block

• A worn or blown head gasket, particularly near the exhaust port side, will cause liquid coolant to enter the cylinders and pass through the exhaust in the form of vaporous steam. A cracked engine block or cylinder head will produce the same effect. The coolant passage through the hot exhaust will emit a sweet smell, rather than an odor of unburned fuel. A continuous loss of radiator or reservoir coolant indicates the first signs of a blown head gasket, cracked head or block.

White Smoke -- Un-burned Fuel

• A steady stream of white smoke during normal driving conditions points to fuel vapors, or in some cases, raw fuel exiting the exhaust. Worn or defective glow plugs, improper engine timing and defective fuel pump pressure will allow excess fuel to exit the exhaust in the form of white smoke. Low cylinder compression ie., burnt valves and worn rings will allow the passage of unburned fuel due to incomplete engine combustion. Diesel injectors that do not have a maximum spray pattern (dirty nozzles) can allow raw fuel passage through the exhaust, as well as a faulty waste gate. Such unburned fuel will have a strong petrol odor and will sting the eyes.

Thanks for your advise , I don't smell fuel so it's pointing towards as you says gasket/head failure i have it booked in for pressure test.

Ok had merc tech look at it today, it's fuel that's burning. The coolant is passing the turbo exhausts port somehow and leaking from the turbo he's not seen that before also there is not much pressure on pipes from the radiators so hel be stilling it down to find out what is the problem. He says it's the headgasket or could be the head that's failed causing it to burn fuel and water. Anyone any thoughts ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom