21" AMG alloys with Pirelli Scorpion Zero rubber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dr-Nab

MB Enthusiast
Car
B8.5 S5 Coupe 430hp/520nm
Hey everyone just a quick warning out to everyone who have got AMG or Mercedes OEM alloys on their ML or GL's with Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres on, mine run 295/40/21 tyres as an MO fitment.

Had a blowout today from the inside edge of the n/s/f, turns out that the edge of the tyre has completely worn away but had the alignment checked and its fine no issues, just a problem with those particular tyres the o/s/f isn't too far away from doing the same. They had covered 30k miles but have switched to MO Continentals, the Pirelli's are difficult to get hold of anyway but after that don't think there's much point in going for them.

There was a good 3 or 4mm of tread over the centres and outside edges so figured they were good for a little while longer but obviously not!

So for anyone running those tyres keep a look out on the inside edges as you wouldn't want to have a blow out on a dcw or motorway or anywhere really... fortunately the one I had was a low speed one but Mobilo came out and put the spare on, local trusted tyre shop sorted the new front tyres out sharpish!

Excessive wear on the inside edges is usually a camber problem - it's worth getting it checked.

haha underpants not so bad.. it happened when turning at 15 or 20 mph so very lucky there that it wasn't at 70 odd on the M1 otherwise me/pants/car would have probably been a write off!

It will be going in on Thursday to have the camber and alignment checked again, doesn't look to be a problem to the naked eye haven't lowered/reprogrammed the airmatic or anything wheels have only changed when MB replaced the two fronts under warranty from them rotting away so maybe it was badly balanced? No idea didn't drive like a dog so doubt it, not so fussed now it has shiny new conti cross contacts on but will probably going bye bye in a few months anyway (hence thinking the tyres would have been alright for a few months)

Out of interest how much are the tyres?

30K though is good going out of them?

I was surprised they lasted so long I was expecting 15-20k.

The cross contacts I got for £280 each fitted & balanced which I thought was pretty good.

Given the size and how long they lasted on a big heavy car that's not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom