211 500 - Rattly Cats - Options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi,

My 211 E500 has developed an exhaust rattle over the last 1000 miles or so. It's just passed the 100,000 mile mark.

I'd like to think it might be an exhaust heat shield or something but suspect it may be one of the cats.

Has anyone any suggestions on

(a) how to diagnose?
(b) what my replacement options would be it it is a cat?

Thanks in advance.

If its the second set of cats, just get your garage to cut them out and weld them up, they serve very little function and many remove these anyway.

Mine had a rattle on full lock at slow speed - which my inde noticed when he inspected it prior to purchase.

When I took it back after buying it - we got it up in the air on a ramp when we were able to identify what was causing it.

In my case, my rear CATS had been removed but a different diameter pipe had been used to replace which was clonking on the inner edge of the exhaust.

It was welded and the noise disappeared.

My secondary cats have started to break up and rattle so they'll be cut open and emptied soon.

I removed the cats.....and the boxes with them. Standard MOT equipment cannot detect the difference as to emissions. It does change the sound that the car makes under load which I rather like on the SL.

Mic

its very likely to be the second ones... slice them out and live happily ever after

So finally got round to dropping it off at BSG.....and it's heatshields after all. One of the mounting bars had sheared off and somehow the heatshields had been disturbed. Looks like a minor piece of fettling should have it in reasonable shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom