211 CDI remap: 320 vs 280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but which engine version of the V6 CDI (320 or 280) would produce better performance results after remapping? Am I right in thinking that the engines are the same, and the 320 is a remapped version? If so, have I nearly answered my own question in that it wouldn't make a difference? :wallbash:

I think they are the same, mine is a V6 280 and when I looked up my car's option codes there was one which basically said reduced performance, i.e. it was restricted output. Mine has been remapped, unfortunately I missed out on a recent group dyno session as I would like to know what it is actually putting out.

Apparently they have different ecu and the 280 needs removing or something to do it properly but the 320 can be done on odb. Do a thread search because it was discussed not too long ago. Mines 320 has been done and it's very impressive so go for a 320 if I were you.

Mine was done by PCS/Celtic so will have been done properly, but the ECU wasn't removed.

The intercoolers are a different size also Mike so that may effect remapping results as the e280 cdi has a smaller overal core than the 320

E320 cdi v6 core :Size (H x W x T):647 x 110 x 75 mm : 5337750 cubic centimetres

E280 cdi v6 core :Size 650 x 115 x 65 mm: 4858750

Also just to add as it may help others, the I6 e320 cdi 211 runs the exact same cooler as the e280 cdi v6 which is why i changed mine to the e320 cdi v6 unit with great effect.

Last edited:
Quite marginal though. A 320 recently ran 284 bhp @ MSL, I'd be very interested to see what mine is, but would expect less than that.

Quite marginal though. A 320 recently ran 284 bhp @ MSL, I'd be very interested to see what mine is, but would expect less than that.

Yes indeed, And the stock cooler is pretty poor so every little helps.

Search under posts by tuikku.. seems to know his stuff. Mine has the same map as the msl one

He does indeed, he advised me to upgrade the cooler to a aftermarket unit, which funny enough was slightly smaller than the e320 unit but bigger than the e280.

I also wanted to retain the standard look and use all the standard fittings, something you dont when using a aftermarket unit

Just to note because of the extra thickness of the core its very very tight fitting it behind the bumper on a pre facelift like mine but it does go (just) lol

Last edited:
Do you have details of what you fitted? Thanks

He does indeed, he advised me to upgrade the cooler to a aftermarket unit, which funny enough was slightly smaller than the e320 unit but bigger than the e280.

Just to note because of the extra thickness of the core its very very tight fitting it behind the bumper on a pre facelift like mine but it does go (just) lol

Made much difference gav?

Made much difference gav?

The engine feels very much smoother, and it also smoothed out the pause i used to get between 4th n 5th.

Acceleration went around half a second quicker over the same set speed than before, but this may have also been down to the performance exhaust i fitted a weak later before timing it.

So what happens in the case of the C350CDI V6 as that engine as i understand is the same in capacity but what is different to get 305bhp on a Celtic map.

Mine is supposedly 290bhp on the Celtic map C320CDI V6

As a slight aside has anyone figured out whether the crankcase fumes inhaled by the turbo condense out inside the cooler and eventually block the core...or at least diminish its effectiveness?
Would it be beneficial to divert the breather away from the turbo and into a catchtank?

So what happens in the case of the C350CDI V6 as that engine as i understand is the same in capacity but what is different to get 305bhp on a Celtic map.

Mine is supposedly 290bhp on the Celtic map C320CDI V6

Must have different injectors maybe

As a slight aside has anyone figured out whether the crankcase fumes inhaled by the turbo condense out inside the cooler and eventually block the core...or at least diminish its effectiveness?
Would it be beneficial to divert the breather away from the turbo and into a catchtank?

Interesting. Was there much oil in you're old intercooler gav?

Don`t know about MB intercooler but on the turbo Volvo T5 there is a small vent on the bottom of it ....sounds strange i know but it does allow moisture to get blown out....i expect all is accounted for?

Thanks for the replies, guys, the last few of which have made me think there's more to it than I'd want to get involved with perhaps. It seems the 320 is the one to go for, though.

I've had an E500 estate for four years now, and I'm running out of patience trying to find its facelift replacement with the larger, non AMG V8 engine. Whilst I'm not really a fan of the 212s, I occasionally look at the 265 bhp E350 models, so if I do go the diesel route, it will be between the 211 320 with a remap and the 212 350.

Interesting. Was there much oil in you're old intercooler gav?

No hardly any at all, But there was quite abit in my Volvo's one. And no i didnt see any vent like the Volvo's cooler either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom