211 E220CDi estate - variations in reliability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the zacster

Car
Volvo V70 D5
With a baby in tow and another on the way :eek: , its finally time for the wife and I to ditch the coupe :( (BMW330Ci) and join the ranks of estate owners. We plan to buy used-approved (preferably a 211), we're very keen on Mercs (and the Saab 9-5), and ordinarily wouldn't hesitate rushing out to get an E220CDi (or E270CDi) estate... were it not for the fact that reliability seems to be an increasing issue for the marque. We'd therefore appreciate any views on...
1) whether reliability really is a genuine issue with Mercs?
2) whether reliability is worse with earlier/later 211s (i.e. have some of the problems with earlier 211s been fixed on later/05 cars)?
3) Is reliability better on the E220CDi than on the E270CDi?

Any views/comments would be very much appreciated. Its a pity that I have to even ask these questions - I'd always imagined that Mercs were bullet-proof and guaranteed 100% reliable

Thanks!

I personally have not found my W211, or my previous W210s unreliable. I would say they are not any more unreliable than any other modern electronic controlled car.

Mine has been thoroughly reliable (compared with my previous S-Class). There have been a few recalls for the braking system but any used-approved car should have had all of these taken care of. I've not been disappointed in mine, but am coming towards the end of the road with it. My little one has grown up enough that I can go back to having a sportscar and we can use the wife's RAV4 as the main family transport :)

Mine is for sale in the classified section here, but is a petrol so may not appeal. I am open to offers though
:-D

The estate came out way after the saloon so there was ample time to correct any alleged problems. (I cannot think of any)

The only things to look out for though are the electrics. CHECK that every single button carries out its designed task, folding mirrors open and close etc.

There have been lots of so called upgrades so have the dealer check that these have been carried out.

We are delighted with our vehicle and cannot praise it highly enough.

Good luck with your choice and take your time, do not rush into getting the first vehicle you are offered.

Automatics tend to be more popular, and get the biggest diesel you can afford.

The Avantgarde tends to have a better specification and comes with excellent bi-xeon headlights as standard.

Regards,
John

the only diference you will find moving to mercedes is the astronomical servicing costs compared to BMW.

C270 CDI first service (oil change and an engine spit polish ) £265 @13,000 miles

E61 530d first service ( oil change and engine spit polish) £145 @ 18000

Before you buy the 211 estate also note that there isnt a standard servicing interval on them. Dealers have a licence to print money when you put it in for a service. In order to obtain a quote for a service , you have to take it in for a check on the diagnostic computer and then they can give you the price.

Needless to say , with the spiraling costs and the poor aftersales service from mercedes dealers , the 270 CDI will more than likely be the last MB car.

I reckon youv'e been lucky with your BMW Jason.

My freind who is watching me type this has just explained that his BMW will definately be his last. His last service was in excess of £1000 because the car needed a new ball joint and two new shocks as they had cracked. The car is only 18months old and has covered about 35k miles. BMW covered the parts under warranty but not the labour for fitting them. Not good considering he has had 2 new reconditioned turbos, BMW do not supply new for warranty work apparantly, and a complete new dashboard as the old one was never fixed properly in the factory and split in two.
Mind you my car has refused to start twice but at least it's all covered by a decent warranty :rolleyes:

marcos said:
I reckon youv'e been lucky with your BMW Jason.

My freind who is watching me type this has just explained that his BMW will definately be his last. His last service was in excess of £1000 because the car needed a new ball joint and two new shocks as they had cracked. The car is only 18months old and has covered about 35k miles. BMW covered the parts under warranty but not the labour for fitting them. Not good considering he has had 2 new reconditioned turbos, BMW do not supply new for warranty work apparantly, and a complete new dashboard as the old one was never fixed properly in the factory and split in two.
Mind you my car has refused to start twice but at least it's all covered by a decent warranty :rolleyes:

I know what you mean , but from where im sitting , the mercedes is looking awfully expencive. Seems weird they didnt cover the labour , wasnt it part of the 3 year warranty ?

Apparently the ball joint and shocks are not covered by warranty as they are made to wear out :confused:
Not sure about the ball joints but my brother in laws shocks cracked the same in his Z3 and they weren't covered either. :confused: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom