211 E320 CDi 2005. Should I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
P.S. I would recommend changing this seal annually to stop oil dripping on the swirl flap motor, which is directly below this seal.
Oil vapour from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve condenses in the pipework just in front of the turbo, and can drip out of the turbo inlet seal.
A new seal every 12 months will keep it nice and tight and stop the drips. A DIY job when inspecting the air filters for condition (which I recommend, but is not Merc scheduled inspection), as they are not changed annually I believe.
He doesn’t have an OM642

His will be the OM648 being the 2005.

blooming hell. That's twice I've made that mistake on this thread! I'll get my coat!

Edit. unless it IS the V6.
(Just seen your post drunkenmunkey)

He's removed the link to the ad' on the basis that I've bought it!

Im pretty sure it's a V6, the cover had a silver V on it. I'll check with the garage that are doing the work.

He's removed the link to the ad' on the basis that I've bought it!

Im pretty sure it's a V6, the cover had a silver V on it. I'll check with the garage that are doing the work.
👍

Get him to pay for it and continue with the purchase. It sounds like a decent car/honest buyer. If you are going to get stressed and worry all the time about the occasional eye watering repair bill turning up, my only real suggestion would be to not buy an old MB. In my experience that ever present possibility kind of goes with the turf. That said they are usually pretty reliable.

Ahhh, the saga continues. This is proving to be a great place to vent, wittering, on my part, shall now commence....

The seller has now admitted that the car goes in to limp home mode when you floor it. That's the actual issue.

So now he has said that if I don't commit to buying it then he won't bother and will let it go to WeBuyAnyCar. I countered that I could offer to buy it at their valuation, saving me £100 or so.

But, I had a similar issue on a VW where it turned out to be all sooted up. If it's the same here, it suggests to me that the manifolds may need cleaning and then how worn are the swirl flap pivots? Is the turbo ok? etc etc...Now my head is spinning.

I can now buy a Full dealer serviced e320cdi estate for the princely sum of £1600....But is has a fault, which may or may not be solved with a £700 Control module...

Is this (limp home on full acceleration) a common fault? What else could it be? How reliable is the diagnosis?

WBAC ‘internet’ valuation means little, as when he takes it to their local fault finding dept, their original valuation will drop dramatically. IMHO, I would never buy a car with any obvious problems. Not privately that is.

Ahhh, the saga continues. This is proving to be a great place to vent, wittering, on my part, shall now commence....

The seller has now admitted that the car goes in to limp home mode when you floor it. That's the actual issue.

So now he has said that if I don't commit to buying it then he won't bother and will let it go to WeBuyAnyCar. I countered that I could offer to buy it at their valuation, saving me £100 or so.

But, I had a similar issue on a VW where it turned out to be all sooted up. If it's the same here, it suggests to me that the manifolds may need cleaning and then how worn are the swirl flap pivots? Is the turbo ok? etc etc...Now my head is spinning.

I can now buy a Full dealer serviced e320cdi estate for the princely sum of £1600....But is has a fault, which may or may not be solved with a £700 Control module...

Is this (limp home on full acceleration) a common fault? What else could it be? How reliable is the diagnosis?
Is there a fault code for the limp on acceleration issue , because it could be a big list of possibilities

There are so many potential causes of the symptoms you are describing.

Walk away now and look for a younger car with lower mileage. It will not be problem free but a lot of the issues with pre face-lift cars will have been addressed.

You need to remember that a car that cost £40k plus when new comes with comparable parts costs even when 10 or 15 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom