211 E500 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horatio

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK, 190E

I love the colour of this one. Spec isn’t the best, no heated seats. I know these have a following but no idea of their value.

If you tweaked the exhaust for some V8 burble I think it would cause some confusion...

M113 5.0 V8 👍
"The E500 featured the largest factory built engine in the E-class range and as such represents an end of an era" ...didn't they have a 5.5 later on?

I drove this car something like four years ago when it was being sold over in Tring. It drove like a rattly, rattly old thing: it took about a mile to reject it.

No doubt it's been fixed since then, and thoroughly serviced, and drives well now.

I wouldn't normally comment, but the car really was not in good condition back then and certainly not worth this kind of money.

Caveat emptor.

Bullshit ad.

'...extraordinarily rare...' No they aren't. The 5.5-engined version is pretty rare, tbf, though.

'...most probably the only example for sale in the UK...' No it's not. There's another one just on eBay now, FFS. Pillock.

'...the largest factory built engine in the E-class range...' The E55k and the 5.5 versions must have been built in sheds, then. Pillock.

' This very classy modern classic Mercedes...' I'd agree with that; this is, of course, entirely unrelated to the fact that I really like the S211, and have one (and a nicer example) myself ;)

'...has [been] maintained regardless of cost...' The MoT history would suggest that's not strictly accurate.

'... represents an unrepeatable opportunity...' No it doesn't. I've seen at least four on eBay in the last six months.

'... a sound investment.' I'd agree entirely; this also is, of course, entirely unrelated to the fact that I have one myself ;);)

'Please call Baron on...' I know what I'd call him...

The vendors have expensive, high-end cars on their website, though I've no idea whether they're 'exceptional value for money' as the website claims, but of course, this old banger isn't on the website; it's a part-exchange they want shot of, but I suspect priced as though it was on their website. I'd say it might fetch about four grand in the real world.

You may think this kind of ad grips my sh1t, and you'd be right. At least they don't state that they sell 'marques of distinction', or some other such pretentious rubbish...

Last edited:
This is the FOURTH time this this vehicle has been passed around the houses like a hot potato. It was originally for sale at a top-high asking price, privately, twice. It must've been picked up in a part exchange by a succession of dealers that have paid too much for it, having overestimated the market value.

The colour is marmite and the contrast of elegance panelling and black leather is not to my tastes.

I like the green, though not with the black interior, and I'm with you on the orangey wood; rather darker, like most W211 wood, would have been much better.

It's gone now anyway. I wonder whether they found a mug, or sold it at a real-world price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom