211 E55 vs 996 C2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_cyp

MB Enthusiast
Car
Thinking of what to get next
A friend of mine has been nagging me for ages now to compare these 2 cars performances, both from a standstill and a rolling start, all runs up to 100mph.

So after a gtg on a pvt road of course i gave in.:devil: :D

from standstill 996 gets a nose ahead due to its good traction but as soon as second gear kicked in it was game over, the 55 just blitzed the porsche and the 996 was just getting smaller and smaller in my rear view so i just backed off.

From a rolling start in 2nd there was no comparisson to be made, the 55's supercharged motor was far to superior to that of the flat 6's.

I am in no way posting this as a kill story nor am i gloating but as stated above it was a comparisson on a pvt stretch of airfield between these 2 vehicles.

In his words....... I shouldnt have bothered really those 55's carry so much weight but yet so damn quick its amazing.

Story over.

There is no escaping sheer grunt!! love the 55's by the way!!

But, would the story have been the same around a track??;)

Who cares ....

In the real world , it's traffic light grand prix's and motorway grunt that counts !!

:bannana:

Sadly i don't participate in either as my car couldn't pull your sock off .....

Who cares ....

In the real world , it's traffic light grand prix's and motorway grunt that counts !!

:bannana:

Sadly i don't participate in either as my car couldn't pull your sock off .....

In the real world it's going around corners that counts! After all you'll be sticking to 70mph won't you ;).

70 :eek:

60 more like ..... ;)

Depends what you are into i suppose , most of the races i've seen are on the motorway or off the lights .... someone creeps up too close to the car in front, and down goes the foot , or someone pulls up alongside someone and gives them the nod ....

considering that one is close to 500hp and the 996 is still struggling with 320 what do you expect?. Not very fair.
next time try a gt2 or a turbo and the e55 will be left for dust and anyway the porsche will not give up at 155mph:D :D.
you could have gone with a w210 e55. might have been fair then.
lets see. supercharged merc vs normal porsche.
To end the story.
The fastest porsche is faster than the fastest merc you can buy.
the slowest porsche is still faster than the slowest merc you can buy.
Please do not start with the mclaren

Ermm Now please wait while i put on my body armour

Last edited:
In the real world it's going around corners that counts! After all you'll be sticking to 70mph won't you ;).

But if that's true ................what speeds do you guys do when you have left the 30 mph zone.....:eek: :eek:

considering that one is close to 500hp and the 996 is still struggling with 320 what do you expect?. Not very fair.
next time try a gt2 or a turbo and the e55 will be left for dust and anyway the porsche will not give up at 155mph:D :D.
you could have gone with a w210 e55. might have been fair then.
lets see. supercharged merc vs normal porsche.
To end the story.
The fastest porsche is faster than the fastest merc you can buy.
the slowest porsche is still faster than the slowest merc you can buy.
Please do not start with the mclaren

Ermm Now please wait while i put on my body armour

OMG i had a feeling a porsche owner would start something like this.
It was never intended to be a pun against porker owners, it was 2 FRIENDS WITH 2 RESPECTED CARS HAVING SOME FUN, thats it.

Nice one Andy. I think we could have guessed the result, but good on you for proving it.

Personally I think Recycled posted his comment tongue in cheek! The supercharged 55 engine is amazing - I was sorely tempted by a CL55 when looking at the Porsche but decided I wanted a bit more than a 'point and squirt' car - at least for now anyway. The depreciation on the Merc was a bit too much to stomach at the moment as well :(.

Having just had a W211 loaner I can safely say I'm happy with the choice I made :).

This was a joke mate. it was pure humour. do not take it seriously
Can't you see what i wrote at the end?

Last edited:
I suppose the '55' will get quicker with age too... as it gets lighter! ;-)

The 55 Supercharged engine is super quick.No surprise in beating the 996 C2.
Now if you were to race a 996 Turbo I think that would be a fairer race.
It would be a very close race maybe even the E55 winning if the Porsche drivers gear changes are not perfect.

Once you start going around corners though its the porsche hands down!!.
What I love about the E55 is its so understated, and unless you know your cars you would think its a normal E class. But it will give most respectable sports cars very good run for there money.

I am saving up for one now!

There is no way in hell that and 55 is going to come close to a Porker Turbo. My buisness partner has one and after numerous swapping of cars, i can tell you that the Turbo will beat most cars on the road ahnds down without question.

It takes a split second for those turbos to spool up, but when they do.......forget about it!

Ill Post you a vid soon, im in the proccess of giving the the 55 a stage 1 upgrade, pulley/software/green filters.

When im done ill post a link between this and a 996 Turbo "dms'ed".

That should be fun.......

There is no way in hell that and 55 is going to come close to a Porker Turbo. My buisness partner has one and after numerous swapping of cars, i can tell you that the Turbo will beat most cars on the road ahnds down without question.

It takes a split second for those turbos to spool up, but when they do.......forget about it!

In perfect world with perfect conditions with the porsche TT making a perfect start and then changing through all the gears perfectly yes it would beat the 55 hands down.

But from a street race from the lights the 55 has a chance should the porsche driver not make perfect gear changes and get away slowly........

If you add a chicane like stats007 said..then its porsche hands down

Try putting a chicane in the middle Andy - this isn't America ;).

As stated many times before its either motorway blasts or trafic light gps were its all started, and not on twisty roads.

We all know that a Merc is not for the twisties but straight line blasts,and thats we we are at our most....:rock: peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom