211 e63, loved or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robparker

Car
c55/115d/fintail
I have been thinking of buying a 204 C63 (estate) for some time, but the space of an e-class would be beneficial. But in 211 form the 63 seems to be fairly un-loved and over-shadowed by the 55k following... Would I be right in thinking this? The e63's seem to sit around un-sold for months

It's still a W211, but there were some problems with the early 6.2 engine. I suspect the main issue with cars not selling, though, is, as usual, that the car is overpriced; the seller is looking for a mug punter and prepared to wait until one comes along. Either that, or he's one of those stupid people who Know What It's Worth...

Last edited:
If you want to feel like your floating on a cloud, but with that amazing engine at your disposal go for the E with the extra room.

If you don't mind a bone shaking ride but with that amazing engine go with the C 👍

The E55 / E63 volume discrepancy is purely about the numbers originally sold. See www.howmanyleft.co.uk for details.

Echoing SKD884 the only way to judge this thing is by touch and feel. I love the S211 and S212, but the S204 doesn't do it for me - the E91 or E92 (3 litre petrol on non-run-flats) trumps the S204 IMHO.... even though it's a boring visually... it's all about the drive.

I've owned a few 211's, but not an AMG one, I have driven a C63 and it was what I want. But I do struggle for room in my current c55 and have lived with a 204 previously (diesel) and it's not much different. I like the 212 but only really the facelift ones (having driven both in diesel form) and the AMG facelift ones are a little pricey.
Finding someone who doesn't think their early e63 is gold-plated could be the answer, and tricky

Why not an E55K estate? S211, bombproof engine, sledgehammer torque, more realistic used prices; what's not to like...

Your choice of colour and specification will be limited mainly by what is on the market, though.

Last edited:
Two S211 E63 on AT for a while seem really decent cars. Both silver and black one if my memory serves me correctly. I think the E63 that are on offer are priced rather fairly in my opinion.

13.5 for a 80k 6.2 Estate is a lot of car. If it's room you want the E is the one to go with.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of a 55k estate at all. Only looking at 63's due to loving that engine when it was in the c-class.

It's a fantastic engine, one of the all time greats👍

I've owned a few 211's, but not an AMG one, I have driven a C63 and it was what I want. But I do struggle for room in my current c55 and have lived with a 204 previously (diesel) and it's not much different. I like the 212 but only really the facelift ones (having driven both in diesel form) and the AMG facelift ones are a little pricey.
Finding someone who doesn't think their early e63 is gold-plated could be the answer, and tricky
The W204 was a bit of a rarity in that it didn’t change engine when the model was facelifted - the W202 had the C36 then C43, the W203 the C32 then the C55 - which I’m assuming was down to the volume in demand for a small car with a whopping great engine; what started the C63 off were very cheap lease deals but once they got out there, the dealer contributions weren’t needed and, even now, the residuals are strong.

Strangely though, not a particularly great seller in the other models pro rata, certainly in the E (both W211 & W212) it’s held in lower regard by enthusiasts compared to the engine that came before and the one after (both forced induction probably why!)

Compared to the W/S204 C 63 the W/S211 E 63 is biggerr, softer and slightly more refined in it’s sound and power delivery. I personally like that combination a lot, especially if it’s a car for every occasion.

Despite the scare stories online, even the M156 6.2 is a peach of a motor, just buy one with a genuine full service history, and if possible with the preventative maintenance items already done.

PS Yes the W211 E 63 is possibly the least loved E-class AMG (apart from the W210 E 36), and maybe even the least loved platform with an M156.

PPS Try one though, and if you like it then go for it. Who cares what other people think.

Its all down to what you like and how you drive. I have a 55k (CLS) which I love because I just drive on the instant torque in luxury and comfort, (with the occasional blat when I fwwl like it)
Always try before you buy to make sure it suits what you need as well as what you think you want

yes you are correct, even though the styling on the E63 is better, the electrics and brakes better, the engine is not as desirable due to a number of factors. Price point on them is also too high hence they end up on forecourts for months!

If you get on for the right price point , they are a great all round car!

I love mine! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom