211 E63 vs R230 SL55 ownership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
Which one has the most pitfalls for long term ownership? I'm guessing the SL, but I think the 211 would depreciate quicker than the SL.

Any thoughts please?

I think you have got that about right.
How often do you hear of problems with a W211 E63? I can't think of a single one myself on this or the "other" forum..
SBC braking removed has to be the biggest gain as it's a ticking time bomb for when it finally fails.
The SL, a wonderful car, has so many problems well documented on the forums. Water leaks, faulty SAM''s, are two big problems that put me off ever owning one, although I love them.
As for depreciation, yes, the E class loses far more over time than an SL ever will. It surprises me even now how much 03/04 SL55's are fetching.

Even when I bought my E55 nearly 4 years ago, a 54 plate SL55 was £10,000 more.

Not worth the premium for me.

Tbh I can't say anything bad about my E63 I loved that car it was just getting too old for me.

Yeh I spent an arm and leg looking after it but it was an £80k car when new so was expected.

My experiance of selling or trying to sell was quite interesting though.

I had a couple of forum members offer me £6k less than advertised price because book value was this and that. If I wanted book value I would have traded it in.

Anyway in the end I did trade it in but got my asking price as a trade in which they prob took off the car I bought either way I got a good deal.

But what a headf*k trying to sell the bloody car.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeh I spent an arm and leg looking after it but it was an £80k car when new so was expected.

Was this in general maintenance, or repetitive and/or one off issues?

I'm wondering how the suspension differs in an 211 AMG from a 211 with airmatic? I know that AMG brakes and suspension are generally much dearer than standard, but with air thrown in, do they have the same failure rate as standard?

I think the inherent problems with R230s are making me look elsewhere for an AMG fix, but an E63 estate would be too good for the kind of usage I would give it (along with it's greater depreciation), and CLK/C classes don't really float my boat.

£2k was on brakes which tbh I kind of expected as they need changed every 30-40k I think and I bought mine at 55k so was in that mileage bracket. After checking the history they had been changed at 30k and then I got them changed at 60k.

Other than that it was just general wear and tear couple of sets of tyres, servicing, etc but it's nearly always £500 here £500 there. A new battery couple of keyless entry door handles just random stuff. then some mods LSD, remap, wheels, exhaust etc.

Suspension I had Air all round and it never missed a beat. I dove it mostly in Sport 2 but every now and again I would put it in comfort and sport 1 so the suspension gets to change settings.

I was told if you drive it in the same setting all the time it can lock don't know if it's true or not but I still changed the settings better safe than sorry.

If they fail then you can get replacements from the US which are cheaper than the UK dealers, you'd need to look into that if it did fail atleast you know your options or you can get rid of Air and get coilovers all round.

Otherwise great car and I'm looking to get another newer model in 6-8 months.

Gets you excited everytime you cold start :D

Yes, it's that AMG growl that I want! I've had an E500 estate with airmatic for three years now, and a 129 SL 500 for 11 years, and they just feel normal now!

What annoys me with the R230 is that none of the expensive failures have been ironed out, or reduced in frequency. My estate is a street car, often left for a month or two in unsecured environments, so I don't lose sleep over a cheaper car, which has lost most of it's depreciation, but I am sorely tempted to replace it for a good growl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom