211 exhaust and silencers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Two questions.

There is a spring clip on the bell-joint where the top cat goes into the downpipe. Does the little arrow on this clip face 'upwards' or down with the direction of gasses?

The system is built from stainless steel and the two back boxes are showing multiple (stress) fractures which are not however leaking gasses. The stainless is very thin and looks like it may just be covers over thicker steel underneath. Is this assumption correct?

It's not often the forum draws a blank, but I think you've found a way! :eek:

I haven't a clue about either question to be honest, but I didn't want you to think we were ignoring you!

I am intrigued about the back boxes. I take it that it is the same on both sides? I have just been out and had a good look at mine (as it is essentially the same car) and my back boxes have no marks on them at all.

I would doubt that there is a separate inner and outer skin to the silencer. If it had an inner mild steel shell, this would rot through quicker than you could say it, thereby negating the benefit of having the rest of it in stainless! My guess, and I'm afraid it is just that) is that the structure is entirely stainless, and that it is partially filled with that horrible stuffing material, whatever it is made of (glass fibre?).

Does this help.

sTeVe

That's exactly what I need to know. :thumb: Many thanks.

The second part I'm going to determine myself later today. One of the two rear silencers is beyond redemption so -in the quest of science- I'll open it up for a look.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see what that looks like! But I am very curious as to what could be causing the fractures.

I might take a deep breath and go under the back of mine this afternoon if I get time. I have been meaning to have a closer inspection of the parking sensors (very erratic performance lately) and I can examine the back boxes whilst I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom