211 paintwork feels different on wings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
I know this might sound a bit weird, but I've noticed that the paintwork finish on the wings of my 211 feels different to the rest of the car.

It looks them same as the rest of the vehicle, but just doesn't feel as smooth, even when coated in several layers of wax. Might this indicate that, for some reason, someone has previously had the front wings resprayed, but not very well?

Yep, as above, if you tap it with your finger you can hear a difference in the metal as they are aluminium.

I know that they are aluminium and did wonder if that was what caused the difference. I just couldn't quite believe that the metal would affect the feel of the finished paintwork. After all, isn't the bonnet aluminium too, yet that feels like the rest of the car?!

Has anyone else noticed this with their 211?

Last edited:
Have you even given your car a claybar treatment Chris?

If you do, the paintwork will feel like glass afterwards with all the minute particles of dirt removed. A good polish, wax and sealant and it should be good for another 6 months protection.

I know that they are aluminium and did wonder if that was what caused the difference. I just couldn't quite believe that the metal would affect the feel of the finished paintwork. After all, isn't the bonnet aluminium too, yet that feels like the rest of the car?!

Has anyone else noticed this with their 211?

Nope mine feels like glass all over, As suggested a some Iron out, and claybar then a good polish and some wax on top.:thumb:

Well, I'm hoping, if my health improves, to get the car professionally detailed next year, so that should hopefully get it sorted.

Got to say, I'm a bit disappointed with my Collinite 915 wax finish. It was good to start with, with water beading and running off, but after just a couple of weeks water is starting to bead a bit less and leave marks on the paintwork. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

I don't recall feeling any difference between the different bodywork sections. I did however clay the whole car when I bought it, although admittedly that was 7 years ago now, I know the lower sections of the front wings need claying again badly.

I have used Collinite 476S which given I don't use the car much and it is garaged also doesn't seem to be that durable, I think I last did the car with SwissVax which seems to be better (albeit more expensive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom