211 Tow Bar recommendations needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi All,

Not sure where to ask this so sticking it here;

I'm planning to get a tow bar fitted so I can take the family's bikes out on day trips/holidays/etc.

I was originally wanting to get a discrete/removable one but on reflection would settle for a permanent one - the priority is function.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

pfjones in Manchester are very reasonable and also have mobile installers.

Integration is no magic trick - it's an (usually expensive) cable loom. In the case of the S211, I was led to believe (by a disappointed installer on seeing my S210 that the integration makes it easier...).

A lot of the towbar mounted bike racks need a permanent bar for mounting, although I prefer removable for neatness and parking sensor accuracy.

Thoroughly recommend PF Jones in Manchester.

They did a detachable 13 pin towbar, fully functioning with software updates on my new 2013 E Class Estate (W212?)

I had a detachable Witter towbar fitted to my 211 and have one fitted to me 212. The Mercedes loom (anti sway and no error messages, plus works with reversing sensors) is a major cost. As much as the towbar. Once you have gone to this cost the difference between detachable and non detachable isn't so much.

Many racks (I have a Thule) work fine with detachable swan neck towbars.

I used this guy http://www.candr-towbars.co.uk/contact-us since he was the only mobile fitter who knew all the correct Merc looms etc. Recommended.

I'm planning to get a tow bar fitted so I can take the family's bikes out on day trips/holidays/etc.

How many bikes? You need to make sure the total weight of them plus the carrier doesn't exceed the maximum trailer noseweight for your car ...

How many bikes? You need to make sure the total weight of them plus the carrier doesn't exceed the maximum trailer noseweight for your car ...

Four bikes. 2 adults, two kids. Just assumed it would be OK. Will do some counting.

I had a detachable Witter towbar fitted to my 211 and have one fitted to me 212. The Mercedes loom (anti sway and no error messages, plus works with reversing sensors) is a major cost. As much as the towbar. Once you have gone to this cost the difference between detachable and non detachable isn't so much.

Many racks (I have a Thule) work fine with detachable swan neck towbars.

I used this guy http://www.candr-towbars.co.uk/contact-us since he was the only mobile fitter who knew all the correct Merc looms etc. Recommended.

I'll give him a call, thanks.

Out of interest, I guess the fitting is all reversable? I wouldn't mind transferring it if I bought another 211 or selling in on to recoup some of the (surprisingly high) outlay.

85kg is the nose weight of a s211. Even with 4 bikes you are very unlikely to exceed 60kg.

Suspect a 4-bike carrier is likely to be around 20kg, so 60kg for the bikes would just about be OK.

Suspect a 4-bike carrier is likely to be around 20kg, so 60kg for the bikes would just about be OK.

Well my bike is c 27lb and the wife's maybe 30lbs. Allow 20lbs for each of the kids' bikes and you have 97lb - so call it 100 English pounds.

In Johnny Foreigner kilograms that would be around 45 for the bikes.

60kgs for bikes and rack is about right. Should be fine.

Or get yourself something under 20lbs! 15lbs for one of my road bikes and 23lb MTB :)

Towbar, rack, new bikes...

It will soon be cheaper to buy a van :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom