220CE production figures,, anyone know,,??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

COUPE FREAK

Car
220CE COUPE,,
think i read that mb only manufactured the 220ce for about 18 months,?,, no idea of production figures,?,, anyone know,, just wondering,,

I haven't got the split between 220CE and E220C but the overal figure is 12337. Hope that helps.

Subyland said:
I haven't got the split between 220CE and E220C but the overal figure is 12337. Hope that helps.

so if it was 50/50 ce-- ec,, thats only about 6 thousand 220ce's,, not a very big production run at all,, wonder why they made so few,,?

COUPE FREAK said:
so if it was 50/50 ce-- ec,, thats only about 6 thousand 220ce's,, not a very big production run at all,, wonder why they made so few,,?

The 220CE was an interim model. The 2.2 engine was introduced a little before the Phase 3 facelift. Same with the 320CE. The reason they produced so few was because it was only made for a few months.

I think the 12,337 was for all coupes, not just the 220's, or at least that would tie up with my (unconfirmed) figures as mentioned by Howard. The split between 220CE and E220 is nothing like 50/50. More like 5/95, I'd guess....

PJ

imadoofus said:
The 220CE was an interim model. The 2.2 engine was introduced a little before the Phase 3 facelift. Same with the 320CE. The reason they produced so few was because it was only made for a few months.

I think the 12,337 was for all coupes, not just the 220's, or at least that would tie up with my (unconfirmed) figures as mentioned by Howard. The split between 220CE and E220 is nothing like 50/50. More like 5/95, I'd guess....

PJ

jeeze,, the figure is getting smaller & smaller,, guess i wont be finding many in scrap yards for bits,, but i suppose it add's to it's rareity value,, next time i'm down at the dealers i'll ask the question,,

The Johnny Cash solution for parts!

COUPE FREAK said:
jeeze,, the figure is getting smaller & smaller,, guess i wont be finding many in scrap yards for bits,, but i suppose it add's to it's rareity value,, next time i'm down at the dealers i'll ask the question,,

The bodyparts will probably be the same as the earlier 230CE and the mechanicals the same as the later E220 coupe and many parts will be common to virtually all coupe models.:D
Here are the coupe production figures up to 1992 from James Taylors Collectors Guide MERCEDES-BENZ VOL4 the 80's----- highly recommended.:bannana: Sorry for the poor image quality.

Last edited:
So my figures were way off. I'll try to find out why....

PJ

Well, my original figures, in the other thread were not correct, but apart from the (relevant) coupe numbers, they weren't too far off. :rolleyes:

Saloons: 2,213,173
Estates: 335,758
Coupes: 141,498
Cabrios: 33,952

Not including E36's or LWBs

Of the coupe's, the breakdown by engines size is

200 13,769
220 12,337
230 33,675
300 43,486
300-24 24,463
320 13,768

Which agrees with Subyland's number, but I also don't have CE/E splits.

PJ

PS: Not often you see the word 'breakdown' in a 124 thread is it? ;)

Last edited:
imadoofus said:
PS: Not often you see the word 'breakdown' in a 124 thread is it? ;)
I now think its time for you to go wash your mouth out. My poor Lady outside trembles at the mere thought of breakdown :rolleyes:

phoenix_nights said:
So did they make coupes with a 2litre engine

Yes. Of the 13,769 they built, 12,491 were sold in Germany. I presume the remainder mainly went to Italy.

PJ

Ian B Walker said:
I now think its time for you to go wash your mouth out. My poor Lady outside trembles at the mere thought of breakdown :rolleyes:

Sorry Ian ;)

Well if the worst ever does happen, I know just the guy to help out. You can find him here. He's very reasonable; knows his stuff; and takes payment in Swarfega, so I've heard....

:D

PJ

Last edited:
imadoofus said:
Sorry Ian ;)

Well if the worst ever does happen, I know just the guy to help out. You can find him here. He's very reasonable; knows his stuff; and takes payment in Swarfega, so I've heard....

:D

PJ
LMAO ;) ;) :) :)

Ian B Walker said:
Breakdown = Fail to proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom