220d (C207) questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissVix

Car
E220 CDI coupe
Hi

Please can you help with the following questions for my 2016 E220d coupe - especially about climate control because the manual may as well be in Chinese!

1. Carplay
One of the reasons that set this particular car out from others is the fact that it has smartphone integration package and apple carplay 14U and 16U on the data card) yet I can't locate it and don't have any additional integration or navigational features. I can only connect my phone up by Bluetooth as per non smartphone integration/Carplay models.

2. ECO
Why, in ECO mode, does the engine start up if you unfasten your seatbelt or exit the car - that doesn't make sense and is dangerous, too?

3. HOLD
How do you turn on/off HOLD function?

4. PARK
Am I meant to park up and exit the car by putting the car in P, pressing the silver button, and applying the parking brake or do I just turn off the engine and remove the key?

5. ASSISTS
I assume that if I have Distronic Plus, Traffic Assist, Lane Assist, Attention Assist they'll be listed as such in the data card? I have Speedtronic and thermatic climate control and neither is listed in the data card maybe I also have these other functions, too?

6. PARKING
I successfully used Park Assist to parallel park but it left me a good 5 or 6 inches from the curb - is this normal?

7. SENSORS
I think I'm supposed to have front and rear parking sensors but I don't think I've any in the rear because I was only a few inches away from a car and and I didn't get any warning sounds - how can I be sure if I do or don't?

8. SEATBELT
The driver's side seat belt retracts extremely slowly and lethargically, can this be fixed and is it expensive?

9. REARVIEW
I cannot adjust the rear-view mirror. It looks different to the pic in the manual - it's wider on the bottom than the top, there's 2 round lights on the underside but no obvious way to work them or move the mirror and I don't want to force it in case it's electronically adjusted.

10. SPARE TYRE
I do t have a spare and there's no room for one as there's a big hump titled AdBlue where there should be a space to store a spare - does this mean I've got run flats and where would I keep a spare if I decide to fit normal tyres?

And the CLIMATE CONTROL questions......

11. The manual appears to suggest that you should always have the AC on in order to ensure that the car stays cold and that the windows don't mist up - is this correct? Doesn't that make the car drink more fuel?

12. The manual also appears to suggest to always have the AUTO button on otherwise climate control is off and windows will mist up - correct?

13. What does AUTO do? The manual mentions how it maintains asset temperature automatically but surely that's what the temperature setting option does?

Thanks in advance - more questions tomorrow about all things infotainment and Command ☺️

Last edited:
1. Apple CarPlay requires a USB to Lightning cable, I.e. it does not work over Bluetooth - have you tried it with the cable? Also, the feature may need to be activated from the COMAND screen.

2. The risk with ECO is that the driver might think that the engine is switched-off, while in fact it's only temporary shutdown due to Stop/Start. If the driver take-off the seat belt or opens the door, this indicates that the driver is trying to leave the car, which will in fact start moving as soon as the driver lifts the foot off the brake pedal (and might be on his/her way to exit the car). The same applies to brake HOLD.

3. The brake HOLD is activated by a long firm press on the brake pedal. It's a little extra push at the end of the pedal travel. It is linked to the ECO Start/Stop function, so if the ECO function if faulty (and also if the battery voltage is low), brake HOLD won't engage.

4. Yes, you are meant to put the gear lever in P while stepping on the brake, switch-off the engine, apply the parking brake, and remove the key. Some of the above doesn’t apply if you have keyless go (just press the button) or electronic parking brake (it will engage automatically).

5. The driver aid options will be listed in the Datacard if fitted. Speedtronic is part of the cruise control system, and Thermatic is the climate control system.

6. Yes. Parktronic uses the parking sensors and isn't very accurate.

7. If you have them at the front, you also have them at the rear. You can see the sensors as small round plastic pieces in the bumper. The rear ones will only work when Reverse gear is selected. But obviously there may be a fault with the system.

8. Pass.

9. As far as I know the rear view mirror is manually adjustable. The two dim lights at the button are ambient lights that come-on automatically at night and can't be switched-off.

10. You should have a TIREFIT kit which is an air pump with a can of tyre glue. There is no space for a spare tyre unless you want to just chuck it in boot. If the tyres are runflats, they will be marked as such - e.g. MOE, SSR, etc - so check the writing on the tyres, that's the only way to know if your car is fitted with runflats.

Last edited:
10. Yes. And no (not significantly anyway).

11. No, there's no need to leave the climate control on AUTO (though you can do, if you want). However, you should always keep the A/C on ON (red light on) to ensure that the car doesn't mist-up. This will also help keep the aircon system in working order (keep the seals from drying) and prevent foul smells from developing (as result from bacteria in the ducts).

12. Normally the temperature setting dictate the temperature at which the air leaves the vents. However, when set to AUTO, it will adjust the flow rate (fan speed) of the air coming out of the vents until the desired temperature had been reached in the cabin (there are temperature sensors in the cabin). AUTO will also direct the airflow at different vents as needed to achieve the required temperature around the cabin.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, guys! So helpful! Just a few q's remain.

CARPLAY
Not got a lightning cable as I have android - I assume Carplay - despite being aimed at Apple - covers android too?

How would I find Carplay in Comand in order to activate it/set it up?

HOLD
I cannot get HOLD to come on no matter how hard I press the pedal - is this standard on the E220?

AC
How come having AC on doesn't impact fuel consumption?

If I have AC on at all times then will I still be able to set a warm temperature?

Apple carplay is for apple phones, android auto is for android phones, with hold press the brake then press a little further.
I always have the ac on, no idea about fuel consumption but it still gets warm.

For the Hold feature, I relax the footbrake slightly, not enough to roll, and then firmly press again. Once I see Hold lit up on the dash I remove my foot from the peddle.

When you want to move off again, just press accelerator and the hold will cancel.

As Fununcle said, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are two separate functions, and it is possible for a car to have one but not the other. To test it, you'll need to connect your Android phone to the car using a USB data cable (USB-C or Micro-USB, depending on the age of your phone), and see if there's a connection request popping-up on the phone.

If the HOLD function does not engage, there may be an issue with it - it is linked to the Start/Stop system, BTW. But before worrying about a potential fault, make sure that you are pressing on the brake pedal as per the instructions provided by ianw19, and also that the car's battery if fully charged. And, last, if HOLD still does not engage, stop the car, switch the engine off, than turn it back on, drive the car and try the HOLD again.

The aircon (AC) has two functions: dehumidifier and cooling. If you always leave it on, then the dehumidifier will kick into action whenever needed, and the cooling will engage (separately) when needed. So if you leave the aircon ON and turn-up the temperature dial, only the dehumidifier function will work, but not the cooling. This will help prevent bacteria cultures from forming inside the moist aircon duct (the bacteria, if allowed to flourish, will cause a musty stench when you next turn on the aircon in summer). In terms of fuel consumption, when the aircon engages (in summer) then there will be some increase in fuel consumption, however if you are driving on a motorway than the car will consume less fuel with the aircon on and the windows rolled-up, than it would with the aircon off and the windows rolled down.

Have a look on utube at MBZ master, he goes through everything on the car and how to use it, some of it still blows my mind with the computer set up for a few things, but he goes through the whole manual in real time and it makes it a lot easier. He doesn't say about the seat belt. the handbrake is confusing, some call it auto but if u only have it in P that locks the diff i'm told once you open the door the handbrake will apply, if you look at your clocks you will see the handbrake sign in red when its on. Have a look on utube he's good, well for simple minds like mine, also he's good for tips and other things the car does.

Windows
I can't one-touch close my rear windows. I tried holding down the button to the first click for 10 seconds after opening/closing but it didn't work - any ideas?

Radio
How do I scan the radio to find better station reception or hunt for new ones?

Windows
I can't one-touch close my rear windows. I tried holding down the button to the first click for 10 seconds after opening/closing but it didn't work - any ideas?

Radio
How do I scan the radio to find better station reception or hunt for new ones?
Hi,
Rear windows on my 65 plate 207 cabriolet have only only got one touch down, not one touch up, so i suspect the coupe is the same.

The buttons are identical to the front buttons and have two clicks in then.

My E220d is supposed to be more fuel efficient and even taking into account the 3p extra for a litre of diesel and the fact that claimed mpg is always optimistic I should at least get similar mpg as in my Golf but instead of a week's worth of travel, £35 only delivers 3 days. I can literally see the fuel needle dip as I drive.

My average mpg is just 41mpg and economy is just 60% with despite my 50 mile round trip mostly being motorway miles and I largely stick to the speed limit due to the number of speed cameras. I reset some trip counters the other day and got the following:

ECO DISPLAY
This screen has 3 horizontal bars
60% from start
with acceleration at about 90% and both constant and coasting at about 40% each.
I've no idea what constant is and not sure how I can coast in an automatic or why it would burn fuel. I rarely accelerate fast or stray from eco mode and let cruise control do its thing so not sure why acceleration is so high.

MPG DISPLAY 1
(64k miles and 2004 hours since reset - only 67k on the car when I bought it a couple of weeks ago)
41.6mpg
32mph

MPG DISPLAY 2
(From when I reset it the other day)
34.9mpg
22mph

Please help because I cannot keep up these astronomical fuel costs.
I have just filled my tank and reset all the counters so I can monitor the next few days.
And how do I average just 22mph when I'm on the motorway most of the time?

If the car does DPF regens... it won't be very economical. Do you see the car hanging-on to low rev on the motorway?

Also, do you know if the car had the 'Dieselgate' software update done by the dealer?

I've no idea what DPF \regens are or if there's been a dieselgate software update - how do I find out about either?

The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is fitted to all Diesel engines in recent years, it's part of the exhaust system and it traps large unburnt sooth particles. The engine will then - from time to time - carry-out 'regeneration', essentially the engine will rev higher than normal by keeping the car in lower gear, thus causing the exhaust gasses to heat-up and burn the remaining particles so that they clear out of the DPF (if the regeneration doesn't happen, the DPF gets blocked and that's a very expensive repair).

The 'Dieselgate' software update is a new engine management programme uploaded by MB dealers onto existing Diesel cars. It brings the car back into compliance with the original emissions specification that the car was classified under when new (as we know, some car manufacturers cheated and their cars had in fact worse emissions than stated). Some owners complained that the software update improved emissions at the expense of fuel consumption, and that their mpg became worse after the software update was applied.

After 2 days of resetting everything. I'm getting up to 74% efficiency and 42.2mpg.
My daily commute (a mostly clear run of 22 miles - 2m road & 20 mile motorway - and 24 miles on the return (23m motorway & 1m road).

Is my mpg standard or, as I suspect, poor considering combined manufacturer figures are 60+mpg.

Well the only other thing I can recommend is making sure the tyres are inflated to the higher value in the range, and not to drive with the roof down (at least not on Motorways and other fast roads).....

So it's low mpg, then?

Can't have the top down as its not s convertible lol just a standard E220d coupe!

So it's low mpg, then?

Can't have the top down as its not s convertible lol just a standard E220d coupe!
Try resetting the display once the engine is hot . Your mpg is including the drive from cold . From cold over 7 miles at 60 mph in 8th / 9th gear , my e350 sees 37 mpg . Once upto 90 degrees over +100 miles id expect to see over 50 mpg .

Will the forecourts still be serving winter diesel or will they have switched by now?
I know that can impact mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom